Brewing and fermentation in same stainless steel container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaša Ratkai

Reaction score
So I'm considering to buy a 100-150 liter standing stainless steel container, in which I could brew in a bag and after I'm finished brewing, leave it to ferment in the same container. Is this possible and does it affect the beer. Or should I buy 2 of them and at the end transfer the wort to ferment in the other one?

https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-fiak-10.htm

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/why-cant-we-just-ferment-right-in-the-boil-pot.517031/

The Anvil link is just to show that there is equipment that allow using the boil kettle as the fermenter. Probably not easy to get in Slovenia, but it shows that some are doing it.

The HTB thread I linked discusses this; the consensus was that you tie up your boil kettle doing this, and given that fermenters are relatively cheap....

So your idea of using one as the boil kettle, another as fermenter would probably be somewhat better. A kettle that's 100-150 liters is pretty large; what size batches are you thinking of brewing?

I mean, I already have 4 buckets for fermentation so it wouldn't really cost me anything to transfer it later to them. But on the other hand if I'm doing a batch every 3 weeks there would probably be nothing wrong doing it with Anvil product then bottling it and start another round, right?

To make it easier, I would be brewing in container like this, so I can easily slide the burner beneath it and get the water/wort to desired temperature. Would this work with a container like this?

Attachments

• Sod-inox-100L_58ebdc0359049.jpg
    Sod-inox-100L_58ebdc0359049.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 139
I mean, I already have 4 buckets for fermentation so it wouldn't really cost me anything to transfer it later to them. But on the other hand if I'm doing a batch every 3 weeks there would probably be nothing wrong doing it with Anvil product then bottling it and start another round, right?

If you're brewing at that pace, clearing the kettle for another brew would not be relevant. I wasn't endorsing--or not endorsing--the Anvil product, just using it to show that there are people doing what you proposed to do.

I do e-BIAB, and when im done boiling, a LOT of my trub goes into the fermenter, just because thats how my process works. But, I always transfer to secondary once the vigorous fermentation ends, and I haven't noticed anything bad about doing it that way. Soooo, maybe you finish the boil and leave it sit int he kettle to do a primary, then transfer to one of your other vessels afterwards for secondary. Saves you a transfer compared to racking to primary then to secondary, but still gets the beer off all the trub after just a few days, rather than sitting on it for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back