Brewing an IPA with maple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experimented with this? I frequently use honey in ipas, and I've used maple in darker beers, but I've never used maple in a lighter beer. Any input?

Use it once initial fermentation has slowed. I like doing that with honey additions in my brews... Start off with a smaller amount first. You can always add more once that's done and you want more flavor.

Use it once initial fermentation has slowed. I like doing that with honey additions in my brews... Start off with a smaller amount first. You can always add more once that's done and you want more flavor.

This is what I was thinking. I'm more concerned about flavor though. I'm not sure maple would mingle well with all those hops.

Then reduce the hops and make a pale ale, or an English Bitter...

It could prove more of a challenge to come up with a malt and hop combination that compliments, or gets complimented by, the maple syrup flavor. A hint might be all you can go for at this time...

Of course, you COULD try to develop your own style for this... :D No reason why you have to color within the lines all the time you know. :rockin:

If you have a cheap source for maple syrup, or concentrated sap, share... I'm looking to make some mead using slightly concentrated sap. Looking for a SG of at least 1.120... If I can get it closer to 1.150, or even a bit higher, I'd be dancing in the streets (probably would be when the batch is done)...

I might have to resort to using 1qt during fermentation, along with very mild honey, then add more post fermentation, or step the additions of it along the way, getting more flavor into it...

I'll probably end up using Eau De Vie yeast for this (from Wyeast) so that it ferments as high as possible (ABV)... :rockin:

If you need any help getting the new style hammered out, let me know.

No cheap source unfortunately. I usually go to a local organic food store and try to find something that looks like good quality. Usually I spend around $10 a pint.

I'm thinking about going crazy with this beer. I was originally thinking an IPA, and I still want to keep it mildly hoppy (around 60-75ibus), but I'm leaning towards a darker beer now. Maybe something with a little biscuit malt or victory, marris otter, some darker crystal...etc. I'm leaning toward a very hoppy american brown ale.

I'll add about 2# of maple syrup. Half at flameout and the other half about halfway through primary fermentation. I might bottle with it also.

I was thinking about experimenting with some floral beers also, so maybe I'll go crazy and throw some other stuff in this. I'm mainly looking at things like Heather, Juniper, Rose hips, maybe some paradise seeds. Not really sure...but this is going to be an interesting concoction.

I'd have no idea where to go with yeast selection, so that's going to be fun.

I would probably use a yeast that brings out some of the malt character, but otherwise is clean fermenting.. Depending on your ABV target, would determine which yeast to go with... I favor Wyeast strains, so you could go through their list and see which you like the most. Read about any characteristic changes for different fermenting temperatures, to make sure you go with the one to give what you want.

An American Brown Ale could fit the bill here... But it's IBU range is 20-40, not the 60-75 you're thinking... Maybe a dark IPA, not a black, just darker with the maple character coming through... Could be onto something here... Give it a decent sweetness level, but mash in the lower range of medium body (so 150-152) so that it finishes a bit lower. Try some Crystal MO in it (55L from Rebel Brewer) too... Maybe 1/2# of victory malt, just to give a touch to it. Although you might need more to offset the maple syrup... :D

Sounds like off to a good start... Once I'm working again I'll have to start experimenting on my own too. We should try a bottle swap once we both have something ready. :rockin:

A bottle swap sounds good to me. I'll be brewing this weekend, so I'll let you know what I end up with.

A bottle swap sounds good to me. I'll be brewing this weekend, so I'll let you know what I end up with.
Hey- did you ever try this? I have several gallons of sap from a good haul this year, and one gallon in particular got a bit over-cooked, so it's starting to crystalize. I'd like to use it and am loking for recipies. Let me know?

Back