Brewing an all Simcoe IPA this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
Hey gang!

Well I was able to get 5 oz of Simcoe Hops and I am going to make an all Simcoe IPA.

I did some reesearch in my Designing Great Beers book and came up with this recipie in Beer Smith.

Would you mind taking a look at it and see if there are any suggestions or improvements you would recommend?

My goal here is to really showcase the simcoe hop in aroma and flavor. I want it bitter but I'm not looking for a Hop Bomp. Most of my research says that 70 ibu is on the high end of an IPA style but its not off the charts like a Pliney would be at 200 ibu...

72% efficency
5.5 gal bathc size
60 min boil
Est OG 1.069
IBU 95.2
Color 9.0 SRM
ABV 7.3%

12lb 9oz Pale Malt 2 row 86.6%
1lb 3oz Crystal Malt 40L 8.2%
12oz Vienna Malt 5.2%
.50oz Simcoe 14.4% FWH
.75oz Simcoe 14.4% boil 60 min
.75 oz Simcoe 14.4% boil 20 min
1.1oz oz Simcoe 14.4% boil 10 min
1.0oz Simcoe 14.4% Steep 0 Min
American Ale (Wyeast 1056)
1.0oz Simcoe 14.4% Dry Hop 7 days in fermenter
Ferment at 66 degrees

If you're not dead set on doing an all Simcoe beer, I would take the 60 minute addition and add it to the end of the boil somewhere. You would have to use a different hop to bitter with, but you'd be maximizing your simcoe by using it where it is noticable. As written, the beer won't be as hoppy as the IPAs you're probably used to.

Are you kegging or bottling? if you're kegging you could dry hop in the keg, just throw them in a sanitized muslin bag along with some sanitized stainless steel washers to keep it at the bottom of the keg. You could also consider turning the 20 minute addition into a First Wort Hop. Seems to be something more people are experimenting with and liking. FWH is supposed to be very good at increasing the aroma/flavor. There's a journal article/white paper floating around here about the benefits of FWH and gives a more scientific explanation for it's effect on aroma/flavor.

I am kegging so the dry hop in the keg might be worth a shot. It usually takes me a month to drink 5 gal. Will the hops sitting in the keg for a month get funky after a while?

I made a pliney clone a while and they used Hops in mash and FWH... Might be a good idea. Maybe I'll take the .25 from the dry hop and the .25 from the steep and do .50 FWH?

Ok changed the recipie above. I am taking .25oz from dry hop and .25 from steep and putting .50oz in FWH. that bumped the IBU from 73 to 95ish...

I'll post to this thread in about 6-8 weeks when its done and let you know how it turned out!

Well I kegged this last week so this is about 4 weeks old. I tasted it and it is delicious! I'm going to let it chill out in the keg for another 2 weeks but I could drink this whole thing as it is now.

I am very happy with this recipie. Those simcoe hops are so tasty.

Back