Brewing a wheat beer- hops on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Im planning on brewing an american wheat beer 10ibu or so. Any of you have experience with wheat beers using these hops I have on hand?

Citra
Saaz
Summit
Warrior
Williamette

There is a very popular "Centennial Wheat" recipe here on HBT (I'm actually drinking one right now). I think it could be easily adapted to Citra and Willamette in particular. Saaz too. Don't have any experience outside with Summit/Warrior outside of using as bittering hops in big hoppy beers.

There is a very popular "Centennial Wheat" recipe here on HBT (I'm actually drinking one right now). I think it could be easily adapted to Citra and Willamette in particular. Saaz too. Don't have any experience outside with Summit/Warrior outside of using as bittering hops in big hoppy beers.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I take it the three u mentioned are related to centennial?

I've done an American wheat with Warrior as my bittering hop, and a little bit of Cascade for flavor. I've tried several variants of this and now prefer to only use First Wort Hops for bittering. I make a single addition of Cascade at 5-mins left. I like to keep it under 20 IBU total. I think your Saaz would make a good late addition instead of Cascade. Just don't overdo it! :)

Since I am all-grain, I do like to use 50% distilled water when I mash this one, along with some CaCl and CaSO4.. It helps my water chemistry for such a light colored brew..

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I've done an American wheat with Warrior as my bittering hop, and a little bit of Cascade for flavor. I've tried several variants of this and now prefer to only use First Wort Hops for bittering. I make a single addition of Cascade at 5-mins left. I like to keep it under 20 IBU total. I think your Saaz would make a good late addition instead of Cascade. Just don't overdo it! :)

Since I am all-grain, I do like to use 50% distilled water when I mash this one, along with some CaCl and CaSO4.. It helps my water chemistry for such a light colored brew..

Good luck!
--LexusChris
Thanks for the help I think I'll take your advice. I may use three hops in low quantities for aroma. This too will be all grain.

Back