Brewing a super dry Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafaelpinto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am on a quest for the hoppiest brew I have ever brewed (not IBU-wise, but flavor/aroma). For that, I intend to lower my beer body as much as I can and also simplify the specialty malts. In addition to it, a higher ABV should help extract hops essential oils.

Im shooting for 8% ABV with the help of US-05 and around 40 IBUs (the final gravity will be low, thats why I cant go high with the bitterness). Cascade + Columbus only. Hops added on the last 20 minutes + double dry hopping (5 days each). Whirflock and gelatin to help it clear out. Im using a conical (and I will rack to a seconday before adding dry hop hops, since much of the yeast remains stick to the conical walls). I am thinking about using a hop bag + weight, which will be tied in a fishing line, allowing me to give a little shake at the hop bags once a day (in order to get as much beer in contact with the hops as possible).

In order to make it happen, here is what I got:

1) 80% Pilsner Malt, 10% Wheat Malt, 10% Carared: pilsner malt is less roasted than two-row; wheat malt will help with head retention and add some mouthfeel, without adding body; Carared will bring a little color and a slight sweetness to balance the hops.

2) Mash around 140-142F to really dry it out.

3) In addition to the fermentables just listed, I am thinking about adding another 10% of table white sugar to help dry it out and also induce a better hops essential oils extraction.​

Is this a good plan? Anything I am missing? Is it ok to use sugar that way? Is there a chance it will get out of balance? If I do it as planed, what final gravity should I get?

I think you will need more IBUs for the feeling of dryness.
I generally hit 83% attenuation with rehydrated healthy amounts of US05 which dries my IIPAs out pretty good, even too much sometimes.

For maximum dryness i would use only base malts, add 100+ IBUs, use a high attenuating yeast (like healthy US05 or even saison yeast) a water with high sulfate/cloride ratio and carb it well.

I don't think dryness is going to necessarily give you a greater perception of hop flavor and aroma, maybe bitterness. Take a look at Hill Farmstead. Incredible hop flavor and aroma, with a luxurious mouthfeel. He let's his hoppy beers finish higher, and it's amazing.

But if that's what you like, go for it. I think the key is to have the proper balance, and that's what Shaun Hill does best.

I agree with what The_Glue said. Give it a big dose of Gypsum to get that drying effect. Along with high attenuation, slightly higher carb, and a simple base malt with maybe a touch of wheat or crystal.

But what truly is your goal here? To just say you made hop water? Or do you want a well balanced beer with plenty of flavor/aroma? Just putting it out there for some thought.

Too much crystal. Make it 0.5 lbs max in 5 gallons.

10% sugar is fine.

Mash temp is too low. Will you actually complete conversion there. Try for about 148 F.

10% wheat is ok, but is very high if only for head retention.

Pilsner is ok, but 2-row would be better.

40 IBUs is too low.

If I were doing it, I'd use MO or Pale malt, 0.5 lbs crystal, mash 148, add 5+% sugar, and be looking to get about 90% attenuation. I like my IPAs dry.

Latest posts

Back