Brewing a Porter onto an American Wheat Yeast Cake???!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I've never pitched on top of a yeast cake before. I have an American Wheat extract batch going right now and will be ready to be bottled in a week. Would there be any benefit to tossing a darker beer onto the yeast cake?

The American Wheat was an extract kit from Northern Brewer consisting of:
- 6lbs Wheat Malt Syrup
- 1oz Willamette Hops @ 60min
- 1oz Cascade Hops @15min
- US-05 was used.

OG was 1.044

What would be a good beer to put onto this yeast cake? I've been wanting to do a Porter and the particular recipe calls for US-05....what that work?

Or should I just clean it out and pitch some fresh yeast?

Thanks! :tank:

That should work fine.

If you have any worries about off flavors, you can clean the yeast. (Various how-to's and videos out there to show how)

There is nothing wrong with finding yourself a yeast strain you like and washing/using it for nearly everything you brew. Many large craft breweries do just this. Whether or not that particular yeast is one you like in that particular style I can't speak to.

I did an Irish Red on top of a Czeck Pilsner that was done with S-05. The Pilsner had high hops and the Irish Red didn't pick up any of those flavors.

Some people wash, some don't. I didn't, I have read too many concerns of contamination. Just remove as much of the previous beer when you are ready to pitch. I kept my fermenter in the fridge while it took 3 more days to brew the Irish Red. I aerated the wort and stirred up the yeast cake the first night. Fermentation was vigorous. Also I poured the wort into the fermenter when it was at 90*F, I usually make 1/2 liter starters at 90*F as the S-05 package states, then put the entire Fermenter outside to cool, it was 34*F outside. I shook the fermenter when I stored in my fermentation closet a few hours later when it was at 70*F.

The S-05 yeast is now washed and stored in my fridge for next weeks brew session.

I am drinking the Irish Red right now, it is crystal clear and terrific.

Back