Brewing a large extract batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityOChampBrew

Reaction score
Ok I'm breaking my forum cherry on this one. I've been thinking an idea over just to save time and to brew about 20 gallons in one day. I was mulling over the idea of doing a 13-15 gallon extract boil yielding 4 separate five gallon batches with the intention of either using different yeasts, different dry hopping schedules, and or different fruit additions. Obviously each batch would get top off water to reach full volumn and there would be enough extract to cover the amount of beer being made; could even do grain as I have a system big enough to yield a 10 gal dipa or barleywine. The question is has anyone tried anything like this and had any results or tips. Main concern is hops utilization seeing as how I've never done a partial boil extract.

Did it last night only 15 gallons made, same wort three different beers. If I ever do this again I need to make sure I don't try to limit the top off water by boiling more as I had my 1st boilover.

Back