Brewing a lager style beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
is there any lager style beers that i can make, with out having to lager, im not set up for lagering yet, and im unable to ferment at such low temperatures.

You can make a "steam beer" which is a lager fermented at ale temps. You need the San Francisco lager strain (WLP810) which ferments clean up to 65F. It won't be quite as clean as a real lager, but it will be close.

Also, after you carb the beer in bottles, throw a 12-pack into the back of your fridge for a month or two. This will re-create some of the smoothness of a traditional lagering phase.

Caveat: this is all theoretical stuff I've read on this site. Not actually done any of this. No warranty!

You cannot make a lager without lagering, anything else will be . . . . . . an ale, or . . . . . .like ghpeel says, a california common (steam beer).

is there any lager style beers that i can make, with out having to lager, im not set up for lagering yet, and im unable to ferment at such low temperatures.

How low can you realistically go for fermentation temperatures? I see you are in Montreal, which means you will have some seasonal options for cool fermentation temperatures.

Got a basement or cold storage room that you can get down into the low-to-mid 60's? If so, you might consider a Kolsch which might be as close to a lager as you will get with an ale. I started a batch the other day; currently fermenting at 62.

Back