Brewing a German Kolsch, extract style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockspeed31

Reaction score
Picked up an extract kit today from my local hbs. Adding 1Oz extra of Citra hops to kick up the ibu's and to add more citrus flavors.
See how this turns out. This will be my 4th brew ever, hopefully it will turn out as well as the first 3 (different style brews).

Will post a update in a couple weeks.

Was it a kit your lhbs made up or is it one like brewers best or northerbrewer?
I've been looking around for a kolsch kit to try, keep me posted on how it turns out.

I just brewed up a Kolsch from a kit my LHBS builds. Their instructions were terrible, but I used the instructions from my first brew (Brewers Best has great instructions IMO) to make the ones they sent more understandable. The only issue i have with mine is I don't have a secondary fermenter, so its somewhat cloudy. Color seems spot on, carbonation and head retention seem in line with the style, has a great start, with a solid hop finish (I used 1.5oz German Tradition, then Dry Hopped 1oz Tettnanger) without the IPA hop aftertaste.

Once I get some more opinions on it, I may have to test it out by sitting on the front porch with one :)

Was it a kit your lhbs made up or is it one like brewers best or northerbrewer?
I've been looking around for a kolsch kit to try, keep me posted on how it turns out.

It is a kit that they make up. Comes with very good instructions.

http://www.barleynvine.com/kb915.html

This is the link to it. I added an extra pack of citra hops to it also.

Back