Brewing a clone kit vs a regular style kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
Alright, I'm eager to brew a Dunkel up next. Out of the dunkels I've tried, Franziskaner seems to be my favorite. My question is, should I go for a Franziskaner Dunkel clone kit on AHS? Or should I try my luck with the Bavarian Dunkel kit? I'm wondering, what, if any, are the differences...besides an extra 6 dollars for the clone. Anyone tried either, or both kits?

The clone likely has more to it. Although, I can't really tell you based on clicking back and forth on the malt bill. Perhaps a more complex hops schedule...

So, I just went and checked that out at AHS, because I'd love to be able to brew something like franzi dunkel, but they don't list the ingredients that come in the kit....bummer, that's enough to dissuade me from shelling out the $35 for it. I like to know what's in em.

You get the list of ingredients once you get the kit. I like the AHS clones as it gives me a starting point for tweaking. They are pretty darn close. Once I brew the clone I look at other recipes for THAT beer and try different combinations - sooner or later you have your own beer.

If you have a certain flavor you are looking for the clones are very good. If you just want a style - go with that.

Yup, all I have to say is that I have yet to be disappointed with AHS clones. They are just regular recipes that you would come up with. THe recipes is yours once it arrives since everything is listed on the paper. Honestly , I dont know how Forest does it to get all them recipes that are spot on.

well, you guys make me feel better about it. AHS has a ton of clone kits (and other kits)! I had no idea......It's just nice to see what your getting, especially if you want to make adjustments to your own taste, etc, which I tend to do (though I know this isn't really the point of a clone kit).

yeah I think I would brew it as is first, then make adjustments next time. Maybe just buy the ingredients seperate or local.

It's just nice to see what your getting, especially if you want to make adjustments to your own taste, etc, which I tend to do (though I know this isn't really the point of a clone kit).

I agree. Northern Brewer lists all their ingredients online so you can see what you're paying for and if you're going to tweak it you can put all the tweaks into the same order.

What are other sites that list their full ingredients online? I'd like to support those.

I agree. Northern Brewer lists all their ingredients online so you can see what you're paying for and if you're going to tweak it you can put all the tweaks into the same order.

Problem with Northern Brewer is they do not have Mini Mash kits - it's Extract or AG.

Plus - just a small variety of kits to begin with. Not dissing them just saying . . .

Plus they say Fat Tire is a Belgian-style pale??????

Wow, thanks for all the helpful replies. Gave me all the information I needed. I think I'm going to go for the clone, but brew it at the high temp range to give me a greater amount of banana esters with the WLP300 yeast-that's what I really like about the Franziskaner, that smooth but prominent banana aftertaste.

I am curious though- could anyone describe the difference in taste between a "Bavarian Dunkel" and the Franzis Dunkel? Is the Franzis Dunkel Bavarian?

You will get a complete ingredient list with the makings. My experience with AHB clones is that they are extremely accurate.

Back