Brewing 1st batch and question on room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrawolverine

Reaction score
LHBS says 70 degrees is ideal for my ale (wheat beer). My room that I plan to keep it in stays pretty constant at 65. Which I read by doing a search on here that 65 is pretty good.

So 65 or 70?

I know a few degrees can make a big difference.

LHBS says 70 degrees is ideal for my ale (wheat beer). My room stays pretty constant at 65. Which I read by doing a search on here that 65 is pretty good.

So 65 or 70?

I know a few degrees can make a big difference.

Keep in mind that each yeast strain has an optimum range, but usually it's something like 62-70 degrees. So go to your yeast manufacturer's website and check their information.

Also, remember we're talking about beer fermenting temperature, not room temperature. Since fermentation itself produces heat, the beer itself can be ten degrees or more warmer than the actual ambient temperature. So, 65 might be just fine or you may need to find a slightly cooler place if the temperature creeps up.

Make sure you get the wort to under 70 degrees before adding the yeast, and that will help keep it at a controllable temperature.

Thanks all. I think I got it around 65 degrees, give or take a couple. Let's see how it turns out.

Do you have a temp strip on the fermenter? That'll give you a better idea of the temp inside the fermenter. And yes,it can go as much as 10 degrees higher inside,but in my experience usually 2 to 4 degrees as measured. But keeping temps more constant is a good thing as well. Not alowing it to drop at night in a cold room,nor climb too high during the day when it's warmer.

Back