Brewhouse Kit Hack - Prairie Wheat to Shock Top clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jappler

Reaction score
In anticipation of summer I'm hoping to recreate a close proximity to Shock Top. From the AG clone recipes I've seen and their own description it incorporates lemon, lime and orange zest as well as coriander.

For those who haven't used the Brewhouse kits, they're 15L bags of wort to which you add 8L of water. I've got 2 possible scenarios for imparting the flavors into the beer.

First, I was thinking I could just add the zest and coriander in a secondary vessel.

Second, I was thinking that most of the recipes I've seen for a ShockTop clone have the zest and coriander additions with 5 mins left in the boil. This option would involve me boiling a portion of the additional water to be added with the zest and coriander, cooling and then mixing that with the premade wort.

And I guess there's a third option... do both 1 and 2.

Anyone have any advice when it comes to making a Belgian Witbier out of a Brewhouse kit?

Thanks!

Just to get it out of the way...I don't think I would put so much effort into cloning shock top (but I'm also not a big fan of american wheat beers).

Now to stuff that might actually be helpful :D

You can probably get away with adding everything to secondary but I would sanitize my zest in at least 155F water for a few minutes prior to adding. You can easily make a spice tea as well, but those can also be added straight to the secondary. I personally add spices at flameout because I want to minimize the loss of aroma due to boil.

Did you end up trying this? And if so how did it turn out? We are planning on splitting a kit and doing half on apricot, and half on coriander/orange zest really soon.

#brewhouse

Back