Brewhauler vs Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin81

Reaction score
Just got brewhaulers. Just wondering if you guys remove them from your carboys when using Star San, or if the polypropylene can hold up against the acids in the Star San when diluted with water.

Once there was a little undiluted liquid that went down the side of the bottle, and I set it on my carpet over night. When I went to get it, it had melted my carpet a little bit, but I'm not sure if my carpet is poly or not. I'm pretty sure it is though.

IMO diluted starsan is not that aggressive, occasional exposure of a pp strap would not concern me too much. Now those glass carboys, I'd fear them.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that starsan did that to your carpet. I don't use starsan, but I wouldn't have thought twice about using it with a brewhauler until you asked the question. Why don't you pour some starsan solution on it and let us know if it melts. ;)

I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking that diluted with water it shouldn't do anything. I haven't been able to find any other instances where star san effected poly

Polypro is one of the most chemically inert materials made by man.
If acetone can't touch it, I feel very comfortable with a watered down mild acid.
Cole-Parmer: Compatibility Results
Sorry about your carpet dude but, most are acetates.
Cheers
-David

EDIT: Sorry guys link I posted has some kind of issue. Use the link and refine by polypro.

I have 8 brew haulers that stay on my carboys. When I rack the beer into them, the starsan pushes out, runs all down the side, and soaks the brewhaulers.

I then just pick them up and stick them into the chest freezer to ferment. None of mine have any side of decomposition. I would guess my oldest 4 have at least 30 batches on each of them.

I've gotten star-san on the brew-hauler (and my home-made versions) many times and I've had no issues.

I have gotten star-san on pretty much everything in my house. My wife uses a spray bottle of it to sanitize the countertops in the kitchen. I spray it on anything I'm working on when brewing. I'll also spray it on the posts of kegs when I switch lines. Spray it up inside taps that I want to clean out. I sanitize our PET water bottles with it when we re-use them. If my life is like Big Fat Greek Wedding then Star-San is my windex.

My wife uses a spray bottle of it to sanitize the countertops in the kitchen.

My wife would never do this after I burnt 3 rings in our new counter tops by laying the lid on them. I know it's the difference of straight vs diluted and my laminate vs whatever your counter tops are, but straight StarSan can ruin Laminate counter tops FWIW.

Oh yes I've read the threads about counter-tops getting ruined, so I tested it in a small corner first and it didn't hurt it. I think proper dilution is critical.

Back