Brewferm Triple Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Brewferm Triple kit from my LHBS based on his recommendation, and because I only wanted to make a 2.5 gallon batch. With just myself and my wife, 5 gallons goes an awful long way (that and I want to brew more often). He said 1 kit would be perfect for me, that this was ALL I needed. Nothing else. Period. Just the kit.

Well, after doing some research (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Brewferm-Triple-214p663.htm) I see that it says "Requires an additional 1 lb of dry malt extract." What is this all about?

The directions do not say anything about extra DME. Do I need to add it, and what will it give to the beer if I do /dont?

I believe you only need that extra DME if you want a beer with a 8-9% ABV. Otherwise your fine with out it.

Hmmm, but the container "as is" already touts an 8% ABV. This is the same kit that does NOT say anything about adding 1lb DME.

It doesn't require that extra DME. Someone at Highgravitybrew.com thought it was better if you added that extra pound. You could drop them an email and ask them but just keep in mind they'll want to sell you something.

I have always added a lb of dme to my 6 gallon batches to keep them from being too "thin". I would think that just brewing a 2.5 gallon batch it would be fine without it. I added the dme because the earlier kits I made called for sugar for added fermentables and the DME worked better to keep the beer from being too thin and watery. Now when I do an extract batch it is more habit than anything I think.

Back