brewery washing station draining to outdoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1KD1

Reaction score
OK, so I am planning to add a 2-bay laundry sink in the garage. This will simplify my process because I currently have to wash and store my brew supplies on the second story of my house. That is a huge pain because it takes several trips up and down the stairs every brew day.

My question is... If I run the drain from the new sink into a rain barrel outdoors, can I use that water to water plants or grass? Or will it kill plants/grass?

I use generic oxy-cean and starsan - but the storage tank would be diluted with rain water as well as tap water.

Has anyone had experience with this?

The main thing you need to check is the Ph, if it is too high or too low it might kill your plants. If it is neutral it will be fine (around 7).

ive noticed oxyclean kills grass, as evidenced by several brown spots in the backyard where i normally dump it. i probably wouldnt dump cleaners into a garden that you care about.

ive noticed oxyclean kills grass, as evidenced by several brown spots in the backyard where i normally dump it. i probably wouldn't dump cleaners into a garden that you care about.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm still hoping that with the rain water dilution plus whatever tap water gets mixed in there during hand washing etc, it will be diluted enough to keep the grass going.

I guess the worse case scenario would be having to install a rock garden where my run-off will be!

Back