Brewery Name Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I keep the 'BeyerDyke' name?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since we started brewing, my roommate and I have used "BeyerDyke Brewery" as our brewhaus name. While not really a 'plan' per se - we've considered the long term idea of opening up our own microbrewery like 'topia is. The name is a combination of our last names and sounds kinda German in nature. (the first part is pronounced like 'buyer' - a person who buys things, the last part is pronounced exactly how you think it's pronounced).

Personally, it's starting to wear thin on me, and really doesn't spring cool logo ideas to mind like some of you guys with really nifty names and logos.

Should I keep it, or go looking for something else?

Can't say "beyerdyke" exactly rolls off the tongue...and apologies for any offense to anyone on this, but the reality is that "dyke", in this day and age, conjures up images of a lesbian in flannel as much as it conjures up images of a dam. Not passing judgment, just stating reality. IIWY, I'd brainstorm and post your ideas here for voting.

It seems to sound easier to say after saying it for a while. And yes, I'm the one that got screwed in the whole last name deal...

It's not fun, but I deal with it.

What Evan! said; plus I'm not a huge fan of "it's a combination of our names" names, anyway. People are always going to ask you what the name means, expecting some cool story ("it's Dutch for 'a round for the house'", or "it's the name of a 15th-century explorer who introduced hops to this region")...when you tell them where it came from, they're going to shrug and look at you funny.

Back