Brewer's yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
Hi guys, I had a thought about all the yeast that ends up at the bottom of each batch. Is it possible to dry it out somehow and make brewer's yeast, you know the food product you can buy at granola stores? I was never a huge fan of that stuff, but it tasted all right, especially on popcorn.

cheers!

--Finn

hmmmmm,
well i've got a pale ale that should be coming out of primary today or tomorrow. What kind of process would you suggest?
SPreading it onto parchment paper (bakers use it for non-stick kinda stuff) and baking it?
I'm sure that something like a convection dryer would be more effective...

I suspect you could just put it in shallow cake pans and dry it at 150F or so. Regardless of how you do it, you'll have to grind the results finely to make it usable.

Don't forget to wash the yeast first, unless you want hop-flavored popcorn topping.

I've been wondering about this for awhile too, I'm going to experiment with it as well. I'm not too worried about flavor because I usually add yeast supplement to smoothies and such for B-vitamins.

I'll try to take some picks when I do this in a few days.

david_42 said:
Don't forget to wash the yeast first, unless you want hop-flavored popcorn topping.

I dunno...a little saaz or spalt on your pop-secret...might not be bad.

Back