Brewer's Friend Strange Expectation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiknjville

Reaction score
This is my 2nd brew session using Brewer's Friend and I'm a bit confused on one thing. It says that the estimated boil gravity is 1.021. I know it should be around 1.040 because it is close to the same starting gravity and finishing gravity as my last brew. Brewer's Friend gave me a 1.040 estimate on my first receipe and that's what I hit on that one and this one. Everything else looks to be correct so I'm really perplexed. This was pasted from the recipe:

Okeechobee Fest Sessionish IPAish
Brew Date: 2016-01-31 Days (+0)
Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Boil Gravity: 1.021 (recipe based estimate)
Batch Size: 2.75 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.057 Final Gravity: 1.016 ABV (standard): 5.36% IBU (tinseth): 28.54 SRM (morey): 6.91

With such a small batch, it could be that you had a pre-boil of 1.021, and an OG of 1.40.

What was your grain bill and pre-boil volume?
What was your volume after the boil?

The grain bill was right around 6 lbs for each one and both ended up at 2.75 gallons in the carboy. Here is my first brew on Brewer's Friend. The original gravity and final gravity are very close to my second brew. The "Boil Gravity" or what I interpreted as pre-boil gravity is 1.040 on this one. Just can't figure out why my 2nd one is at 1.021.

Okeechobee Dunkel
Brew Date: 2016-01-10 Days (+21)
Method: All Grain
Style: Munich Dunkel
Boil Time: 60 min
Boil Gravity: 1.040 (recipe based estimate)
Batch Size: 2.75 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.054 Final Gravity: 1.015 ABV (standard): 5.2% IBU (tinseth): 21.34 SRM (morey): 24.9

As far as what I have seen Brewer's Friend boil gravity number is never right, always low.

Back