Brewers best Weizenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this beer? Ha an IBU of 6-10.. I am probably going to try it next..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some of my students have made it. Easy, and pleasant. I, and they, have brewed the Witbier (Blue Moon clone), as well, and it turned out well. The American Wheat also looks interesting.

The BB weizenbier was my first brew. It was easy, cheap, and fantastic flavors. It is probably my favorite Brewers Best Kit.

Yeah I'm going away from (buying kits) but I'm still going to follow the recipes for a couple more batches, so I will be buying the ingredients all separate. I have heard from many people that that is a great beer.. I'm just deciding if I should do the cream ale or wizen bier beer..

The cream ale has also turned out well,* but because the only commercial cream ale that I've had is Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice, I always think "You know, this would be better with just a little C40L."

*They've never brewed it with a genuine cream ale, koelsch, or altbier yeast. The kit tends to be packaged with US-05.

Well I'll have a choice of my own on what yeast to use since I won't be buying the kit, I'll buy the ingredients that the kit calls forx except the yeast, I've always heard white labs is a god ale yeast..

Everyone has good ale yeast.

Good weizen yeasts (not necessarily good hefeweizen yeasts, since some of them are too flocculent or don't give the "correct" flavor profile):
  • American - Wyeast 1010, White Labs 320
  • Belgian - Wyeast 3942, Wyeast 3944 (= WLP400), Wyeast 3463 (= WLP720), WLP410
  • German - Fermentis WB-06, Danstar Munich, Mangrove Jack M20, Wyeast 3056, Wyeast 3068 (= WLP300), Wyeast 3333 (= WLP380), Wyeast 3638 (= WLP351)

There's a side-by-side taste comparison here. It doesn't have all of these yeasts in the test, but it's a good place to start. I've used Fermentis WB-06 (for a witbier), Wyeast 3333 (for a dunkelweizen), Wyeast 3944 (for several witbiers), and Wyeast 3463 (for a weizenbock), and all of them turned out fine (well, the weizenbock was great before I screwed it up).

Good yeasts for a cream ale:

• Best (cream ale, koelsch, or altbier yeasts) - WLP080, Wyeast 1007 (= WLP036), Wyeast 2565, WLP029
  • Good (clean ale or lager yeasts) - Fermentis US-05 (= WLP001 = Wyeast 1056), Danstar Nottingham, Mangrove Jack M44, Wyeast 1450, Wyeast 2112 (= WLP810), WLP009, WLP011, WLP060, WLP090.

I've used US-05 (for a blonde ale), and Wyeast 1007 and 2565 (for several pseudo-lagers), and the result has always been minimally fruity and clean.

:ban:

I used WLP300 for the first Weisse that I brewed and it turned out great. I used WLP351 for my Aventinus clone that turned out amazing!

My FLBS was out of 300 when I went in to get ingredients for the Weisse that I'm currently fermenting so I figured I'd try 351 in it. I'll be bottling it in another week. I can't wait to taste it.

Some of my students have made it. Easy, and pleasant. I, and they, have brewed the Witbier (Blue Moon clone), as well, and it turned out well. The American Wheat also looks interesting.

I just bottled the witbier last week. I've never done a beer with such intense heffy banana aroma! I found the banana didn't carry too much in the flavour but my whole room smelled like fruit afterwards. Did you notice this?

I didn't - WB-06 was the yeast that came with it, and it never gave me the overwhelming banana aroma. Wyeast 3333 Kristallweizen and Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit both did, however.

My buddy made it last summer. Turned out nice.

The BB weizenbier was my first brew. It was easy, cheap, and fantastic flavors. It is probably my favorite Brewers Best Kit.

I also brewed this as one of my first batches. I subbed a clean american yeast.... I've done it 3 times. Once I added Blackberry flavoring. Its a great neutral, easy beer. It made me a fan of the strisselspalt hops! Go for it!

Back