Brewers best recipe modification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simporkchops

Reaction score
I have a brewers best imperial blonde ale kit. Ingredients as follows:
6.6# light lme
1# wheat dme
1# corn sugar
Specialty grains
1# honey malt
Hops
1 oz brewers gold
2 x 0.5 oz cascade
Yeast
1 sachet safale us 05
I don't want to change much to this recipe but was thinking of using half of the corn sugar. My hope is that it will produce a lower abv than the 7-8% abv this recipe says it will produce. How much less alcohol will I get by removing half a pound of corn sugar? Is this the best way to get less abv? Any other mods you can suggest that would get me less abv? I was hoping to be around 6% or less.
Cheers in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Leaving out the whole lb of sugar will drop it about 9 gravity pts so should bring the ABV down by around 1%. Even with the sugar I think that base recipe would be hard to get to 8% - probably closer to 7.25 - 7.5%. If you also drop the wheat DME to .75 lb that should get you an OG around 1.058 so should come in around 6 % or less. If you're doing this you probably want to drop the IBU's some, likely by backing down on the brewer's gold which I assume is the bittering addition.

Back