brewers best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklebel

Reaction score
Well I just finished my second brew today. I did a Brewers Best Weizenbeir (Wheat). Everything went great and i'm hoping it turns out perfect. I have a question though, The instructions tell me to ferment for about 7 days then siphon to a secondary with the priming sugar mixed in and then go straight to bottles. So should I stick with these instructions or shoud I do the 1-2-3 method? My last batch didn't turn out the best and I need to prove to my buddies that I am a brew master.

I would do the 1-2-3 method. I've done a few brewer's best kits, and I've even done a german wheat. Turned out pretty good.

loop

Agree...1,2,3 = better beer because of more clearing time and keeps you from giving the brews out too early to your buddies :D

Yep. I actually just bottled this exact brew last night. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks (actually 17 days but who's counting) in secondary, and 3 weeks before I drink.

Not really a huge fan of the wheat beers but this was a good brew last night...even though it's still 3 weeks shy of "ready."

I have found it gets easier over time to just let them sit. I get asked all the time, is it ready yet? NO! I've been going a week to a week and a half in the primary, two weeks to two and a half weeks secondary, and well, I've only had bottles for 2.5 weeks, so yeah, still waiting on those.

I did a brewers best IPA, and it has gotten so much clearer sitting in the secondary, versus bottling straight outta the primary.

I was under the impression that there is no reason to use a secondary with wheat beers. They are naturally cloudy and the main reason to use a secondary is to clear the beer.

joebou4860 said:
I was under the impression that there is no reason to use a secondary with wheat beers. They are naturally cloudy and the main reason to use a secondary is to clear the beer.

you are right, I always read right over that, but I haven't done any wheat beers yet, so it hasn't been committed to memory yet :D

I would still do a secondary with the wheat beer myself. Cloudy will still be there...there is still plenty of yeast to make it couldy. But the thick, colored sediment will not be as thick in the bottom of your bottles.

With a wheat I leave in secondary for 1 week. The 1-1-3 method will be fine for Wheat (although I usually have drank at least a sixer before the 3 weeks is up).

Anything wrong with leaving the "wheat" in the Primary for two weeks and then racking to a bottling bucket and bottling?

King of the Swill said:
With a wheat I leave in secondary for 1 week. The 1-1-3 method will be fine for Wheat (although I usually have drank at least a sixer before the 3 weeks is up).

This is what I did (well, am doing, a week away from full on drinking).

I was considering going straight to bottles but I had just got a new better bottle and wanted to use it :D There was a considerable amount of sediment in the bottom of the secondary, that would have been in the bottle if I hadn't let it sit a week. I am glad I did the secondary.

Back