Brewers best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a brewers best tripel and notice that this calls for 2.5 gallons for water for the making of the wort then once it is in the primary you add water up to 5 gallon. Is this an inferior method of beer making? This will be my second beer kit and my first was a full 5 gallon boil.

Thanks

No it's not an "inferior" way of brewing at all, it's actually the MOST COMMON way of brewing around the world. That's how most extract kit instructions go. Because most folks starting out don't have the capability yet for doing full volume boils. That usually comes much later.

Many many many great beers are made on the stovetop.

Brewer's best kits are some of the best beginner kits out there. many of us got started with them.

If you have the capabilities to brew full volume, then do so, but doing it the way the kit says, doesn't mean it will make for a bad beer.

You'll find in this hobby that there really are many different ways to do things, and that "better" or "Worse" are simply best replaced with the idea of what I prefer to do...

If you have the capability to do a full boil with this kit then do it, you'll get better results. The only thing to be careful of, is to make you only steep your specialty grains in 1.5-2qt water per pound of grain. Then after steeping, top off and proceed from there.

I have the ingredients list for the kit here and it says it only has four ounces of specialty grains. "4 ounces Aromatic"??

I would just steep them in a small pot on the stove in that case, then transfer over to your main boiling pot and top off.

Back