Brewer's Best IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbell83

Reaction score
I was reading about doing late extract additions but am not exactly sure about how. After steeping 1lb of caramel 40L and 8 oz victory grains for 20 minutes, I bring the wort to a boil. Should I then add just the 1 lb of golden DME and continue with the hop schedule (1 oz cascade at 60 mins, 2 oz Columbus at 30 mins, and 1.5 oz cascade at terminate), and add the 6.6 lbs of light LME with 15 mins left? Or should I do it some other way? Instructions say to add all extract in the beginning (LME and DME).
Please help!

Sorry for repeat question. I scrolled down and found someone else had already asked. The brewers best has 1 lb of DME and (2) 3.3 lbs of LME. Should I do 1 lb of DME and (1) 3.3 lb of LME at the beginning with (1) 3.3 lb of LME with 15 mins left? Or both cans of LME at the end of boil?

I spoke with a friend of mine who has been doing all grain for a year now. I did a kit with 2 cans of extract and he recommended I use half the extract at the beginning and the other half with 20 minutes to go. My wort came out a beautiful shade of red and smelled wonderful. Oh and don't be like me and stop transferring wort when you get to the trub. I have read that you filter the wort to get as much out as you can.

I made this exact kit early this year. I added the pound of DME at the beginning of the boil and the two cans of LME at flameout. It turned out awesome. I also added 2oz of cascade for dry hopping.

Thanx for replies. Appreciate the information. Will be doing DME from beginning and both cans of LME at end

I made this exact kit early this year. I added the pound of DME at the beginning of the boil and the two cans of LME at flameout. It turned out awesome. I also added 2oz of cascade for dry hopping.

I'm going to try your LME ideas today! You dry hopping in secondary? Is that an additional 2oz of Cascade, or some of the Cascade that came with the kit?

I just threw the dry hops in primary and I purchased the extra 2ozs separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back