Brewer's Best Cider kit - Sweetening Option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtredfish

Reaction score
Ok, so I am at the point of racking and "sweetening"...and I am a little fearful of using the packet (artificial flavoring) that came with it for fear of the bitterness some reviews have given this kit. So...if I want that pear flavor and a touch of sweetness can't I simply use pear puree and simple sugar (boiled and strained) as long as I cold crash it?

Ok, so I am at the point of racking and "sweetening"...and I am a little fearful of using the packet (artificial flavoring) that came with it for fear of the bitterness some reviews have given this kit. So...if I want that pear flavor and a touch of sweetness can't I simply use pear puree and simple sugar (boiled and strained) as long as I cold crash it?
Are you going to keg or bottle? And still or carbonated? I have not used one of those kits but I've had good results using wine conditioner with adding sweetness.

Most of the cider I've been making recently I will ferment 4 gallons and add some sugar to bump up the abv then use some campdon tabs to kill the yeast then add another gallon of juice to sweeten. I've also read about people using frozen concentrate to sweeten also.

Even if you cold crash you will still have yeast that will consume any fermentable sugar you add so it will just ferment all that sugar right out again.

Are you going to keg or bottle? And still or carbonated? I have not used one of those kits but I've had good results using wine conditioner with adding sweetness.

Most of the cider I've been making recently I will ferment 4 gallons and add some sugar to bump up the abv then use some campdon tabs to kill the yeast then add another gallon of juice to sweeten. I've also read about people using frozen concentrate to sweeten also.

Even if you cold crash you will still have yeast that will consume any fermentable sugar you add so it will just ferment all that sugar right out again.

I am kegging and force carbing. I just racked it off last night and only added 1/3 of the sweetening packet. It really tasted very artificial...I was more worried about the fake pear taste than the sweetness. However, I am going to force carb it starting tonight...will update how it goes. It has a really good (and light) flavor. My final gravity held at 1.010...which was above what the kit specified (1.004). However, I let it sit another full week and the FG reading remained the same. It will be a little less potent...but it's flavorful. I forgot to read my starting gravity...so have no real indicator of what the final ABV would be. I am guessing in the 3.5-4% range??

Ok, got it kegged and crashed and started force carbing. My nervousness got the better of me and I barely used a tablespoon of the sweetener packet as it had a VERY fake pear flavor to my pallet. That said, I am glad I did....it would be way too over powering with that full packet and it's plenty sweet. You get a tad bit of aftertaste....but overall good flavor. Needs more carbing, I did the 30# @ 5 mins (shake and bake) and then stuck it on regular pressure (6-8#)...carbed up a little but needs more time. The additional carb will soften that initial sweetness on the tongue I believe...

I Would leave it at 30 for an overnight, it can take a few weeks to be carbed. I keep my regulator set at 10 and it takes about 2 weeks to be right.

Back