brewers best bold series questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I am looking to do either there california imperial or there imperial blonde.

I am looking to know what types of hops they used, have any of you out there brewed these kits. I am looking for a good beer for the spring.

Any input would be greatly needded.

Also how did they turn out?

Dude, go to this site:

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20catalog/Chapter%2001.htm

Scroll down and every brewers best kits has it's recipe listed! Amazing but true and from the company that makes the kits too...

Oops, I guess they don't say EXACTLY which hops they used but they do tell you how much of each type of hops and they do give you the IBU's of the total recipe. You could use a program like beersmith to figure the correct amount of hops to make the IBU target but it wouldn't tell you the exact type of hops...

Enjoy!

I made the California Pale. It came with four ounces of Columbus. I dry-hopped with two ounces of Cascade. It was pure bitterness and nothing else. Granted it was the first beer I made, but it was note good. I haven't used Columbus since.

I've got the Imperial Blonde in bottles, trying to carb up right now. It came with 1.5 oz of Brewers Gold bittering (9.7% aau), 1oz of Argentine Cascade flavoring (3.2% aau), and 0.5 oz of Cascade aroma (7.5% aau).

It was also one of the most expensive kits (for what you get) that I have seen at my local HBS - $53 is what i paid (it wasn't labelled, and i didn't know how much it was until i rang out at the register).

It's not fully carbed yet - bottled on 1/20/10, but i had done a short stint in the brite tank to help it clear a bit, and i think that's what's causing it to take a bit longer than any of my other brews.

Taste has been ok - I'm not familiar with the style, so I've not got much to compare it with, but it's good. I wouldn't buy it as a kit again though.

Columbus is a super high alpha hop. Four ounces of it in a five gallon batch is a ton. Depending on when/how you added those hops, you could wind up with an extremely bitter beer. I'm guessing the recipe called for an ounce or less as the bittering addition, then some late additions plus dry hops.

i did the California Imperial Ale last summer and it too had all Columbus hops.
1oz at 60
2 oz at 15
1oz at 5

The beer turned out to be very "hot" and I'm not sure why. I still have about 20 of them left. I've been "aging" them in my basement. The last one I had was around thanksgiving and it was still "hot." Maybe I'll pull one out this weekend and give it a try.

Back