Brewers Best beer kit not fermenting. Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davezr2

Reaction score
Pitched the yeast 72hrs ago and still no bubbling. This is my first attempt in making beer. I followed the instructions to a "T" watched my temperature like a hawk. Fermentation temperature is 66F and does not fluctuate more than one degree either way. Can I still save this?

What are you fermenting in? If you're using a bucket, those lids can leak and you may not see any bubbling in the air lock. The only real way to tell is to take a hydro reading... Good luck!

Are you fermenting in a carboy or bucket? Can you see any signs of fermention?

Sometimes the bucket seals leak and you don't see any bubbles.

If you have a hydrometer check the gravity and see if it has changed. If it has you are fermenting, if not pitch another batch of yeast!

cheesehed007 said:
What are you fermenting in? If you're using a bucket, those lids can leak and you may not see any bubbling in the air lock. The only real way to tell is to take a hydro reading... Good luck!

I'm using a five gallon bucket. You know what. I don't think there is a seal on the lid. I can smell the fermentation. Just didn't see the bubbling. So I just figured. I'll have to check out the SG. Thx!

Davezr2 said:
I'm using a five gallon bucket. You know what. I don't think there is a seal on the lid. I can smell the fermentation. Just didn't see the bubbling. So I just figured. I'll have to check out the SG. Thx!

Should I transfer to a glass carboy?

I like the carboy, for the sole reason that you can see what is happening without opening it up. But they are heavy and do break! The more I brew the more I like the bucket, just make sure the seal is good. ;)

Should I transfer to a glass carboy?

Nah. Leave it in the bucket. There's no good reason to transfer it. Let it run another week, then check the gravity. From your description and good ferment temp, I'll wager that it's progressing just fine.

What kind of beer is it? For almost everything, you can skip the secondary entirely.

BigFloyd said:
Nah. Leave it in the bucket. There's no good reason to transfer it. Let it run another week, then check the gravity. From your description and good ferment temp, I'll wager that it's progressing just fine. What kind of beer is it? For almost everything, you can skip the secondary entirely.

German Oktoberfest. And since I don't have the equipment for a lager I'm doing an ale.

If you can smell it, things are probably happening. You could also peak through the air lock hole and see if there is a krausen on the top. Good luck.

I feel your pain, my first batch bubbled but then stalled, I'm hoping the final product works out.

What yeast did you use?

trekie86 said:
If you can smell it, things are probably happening. You could also peak through the air lock hole and see if there is a krausen on the top. Good luck. I feel your pain, my first batch bubbled but then stalled, I'm hoping the final product works out. What yeast did you use?

This is a Brewers Best beer kit. I'm not quite sure what yeast I used. The package said Lager yeast.

I moved it to a warmer room. I let it sit at 72F for 10 hrs. It started burbling right away. Either it was a coincident or the warmer temp helped.

I thought you said you were brewing it as an ale? Lager yeast and Ale yeast behave very differently. Lagers ferment at a cooler temperature and are a longer slower fermentation. Warming it up for too long may produce some off flavors. Does the packet say a brand, date, or style?

trekie86 said:
I thought you said you were brewing it as an ale? Lager yeast and Ale yeast behave very differently. Lagers ferment at a cooler temperature and are a longer slower fermentation. Warming it up for too long may produce some off flavors. Does the packet say a brand, date, or style?
I discarded the packet. But the instructions stated that the lager yeast will still perform well if brewed like an ale. The fermentation temp is 66F. I checked the OG: 1.056. The current SG: 1.036. It's been 5 days. Is that normal?

I discarded the packet. But the instructions stated that the lager yeast will still perform well if brewed like an ale. The fermentation temp is 66F. I checked the OG: 1.056. The current SG: 1.036. It's been 5 days. Is that normal?

It might be for a lager yeast underpitched. Does it smell sulfury? Sometimes the lager yeasts are sulfur bombs especially fermented warmer like you are. 66 good for ale yeasts, lager normally you want to ferment at 50 F or even down to 45 F.

The OG was 1.056. On Day5 the SG: was 1.026. Today on Day7 the SG: is 1.020. The instruction said that the FG is 1.013-1.016. It looks as if it's working out. I tasted a little bit. I think it's tasting good. Just flat!

Progress. Now wait a week. Slap yourself on the hand that reaches for the hygrometer. Bad hand! Patience!

IslandLizard said:
No, 2-3 weeks would be better. It will allow the yeast to do some cleanup, giving you a better tasting beer.

Even if it has reached its FG: and has remained there with no change for two days?

Even if it has reached its FG: and has remained there with no change for two days?

Once you verify that fermenting has started, you should leave the beer alone for 3 weeks. The first few days it can be quite vigorous, certainly at higher fermentation temps. Then it will slow down over the next week or two, but it's still working, and that's also where the real magic happens. Many fermentation byproducts from the first few days are being cleaned up by the yeast itself. It's called "secondary fermentation" or conditioning phase.

John Palmer: How to Brew - 3 Phases of Fermentation

I suggest reading that online book or at least significant passages to better understand how (good) beer is made. If brewing is your cup-a-tea you should obtain a hard copy.

Note:
Regardless of what you read or heard, there is no need to rack your beer off your yeast cake into a "secondary" vessel. Let it be where it is. After 3 weeks you can take your first hydro sample and by measuring the gravity and tasting, decide from there to leave it another week or longer.

Disturbing the head space in your bucket will drive off the CO2 blanket that is protecting your beer from oxidation. Each time you lift the lid or tinker with your beer you also increase risk of infection. So try to keep interactions at minimum. Your beer will thank you for it.

IslandLizard said:
Once you verify that fermenting has started, you should leave the beer alone for 3 weeks. The first few days it can be quite vigorous, certainly at higher fermentation temps. Then it will slow down over the next week or two, but it's still working, and that's also where the real magic happens. Many fermentation byproducts from the first few days are being cleaned up by the yeast itself. It's called "secondary fermentation" or conditioning phase. John Palmer: How to Brew - 3 Phases of Fermentation I suggest reading that online book or at least significant passages to better understand how (good) beer is made. If brewing is your cup-a-tea you should obtain a hard copy. Note: Regardless of what you read or heard, there is no need to rack your beer off your yeast cake into a "secondary" vessel. Let it be where it is. After 3 weeks you can take your first hydro sample and by measuring the gravity and tasting, decide from there to leave it another week or longer. Disturbing the head space in your bucket will drive off the CO2 blanket that is protecting your beer from oxidation. Each time you lift the lid or tinker with your beer you also increase risk of infection. So try to keep interactions at minimum. Your beer will thank you for it.
Thank you for the information. I will abide by this in my future batches. I'll let you all know how this batch turns out.

As long as you pitch yeast in your wort, you'll always make beer. :mug:

Brewing is a process with many variables. The more you do it and learn the better your beer gets. This is a great forum, brimming with good advice, and ... lots of opinion.

Well it seems to of have turned out. The FG is right where it is supposed to be. ABV 5.5%. I bottled a few days ago. Now I got two long weeks til I get to drink em'. Thanks for the help. I started a Christmas Ale a week ago. Hope it's going to taste good for the holidays.

Back