Breweries to visit in Cleveland, Buffalo and Toronto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdwiggi

Reaction score
Good Morning all the wife and I are going to be visiting Cleveland, Buffalo and Toronto over the week of Thanks giving. WE are wondering what to see and what breweries are great to visit in the areas.

Thank in advance

cd

Well great lakes in Cleveland is a must-visit. Best porter in the country!

Yeah, Great Lakes in Cleveland. Oddly enough there is also a Great Lakes in Toronto that might be worth visiting. Also in Toronto:

Mill Street
Steam Whistle (not my favourite beer but I hear they do a good tour)
Bellwoods (brewpub)
Amsterdam
Granite (brewpub)

Not a brewery but Bar Volo has a great beer selection... For Ontario. LOL You're coming from the land of plenty so it may pale in comparison to most places you can visit on your way.

There will be more replies but that's just off the top of my head.

More for Toronto:
Great Lakes Brewing - Maker of Crazy Canuck, my favorite Pale Ale
Black Creek - An old style brewery actually inside of Black Creek Pioneer Village

Also, while we are on the subject of great bars in Toronto, check out C'est What if you get a chance. Great beer advocates, just a block or two from the St. Lawrence Market, and only sell Canadian Craft Beer.

Thank you all for your responses I think we are going to have a great time.

cd

My favorites in the Cleveland Area:

1. The Brew Kettle (Strongsville)
2. Fat Heads (North Olmsted)
3. Buckeye Beer Engine (Lakewood)

Great Lakes is worth a visit, but these other three get my repeat business.

Great Lakes is the apex of Cleveland's beer scene

Fat Heads in North Olmsted (west side of Cleveland) has an amazing array of beers too.

Fathead's in North Olmstead is a brew pub resturant. My son & his work buds love the place. And they do growlers too. There's also Thirsty Dog & Hoppin' Frog over in Akron. TD's Cerberus trippel is a tasty Belgian style ale.

Fathead's in North Olmstead is a brew pub resturant...And they do growlers too. There's also Thirsty Dog & Hoppin' Frog over in Akron. TD's Cerberus trippel is a tasty Belgian style ale.

Fatheads is excellent - they do a big flight of samples which is a great way to start. (the time I was there they filled a growler fuller than I've ever seen - great value!) I'd also recommend making the trip down 77 to Hoppin' Frog in Akron - haven't had one yet that hasn't been awesome.

Another one to check out is The Brew Kettle in Strongsville. Its a combination brewery, restaurant and brew-on-premise set-up.

Fatheads is excellent - they do a big flight of samples which is a great way to start. (the time I was there they filled a growler fuller than I've ever seen - great value!) I'd also recommend making the trip down 77 to Hoppin' Frog in Akron - haven't had one yet that hasn't been awesome.

Hoppin Frog does not have a tasting room.
You can go there and buy bottles, but not much else to see or do, and their hours are sporadic.

Thirsty Dog does have a tasting room as does Ohio Brewing nearby if you do venture down to Akron which is about an hour south of Cleveland.

That must be why my son & his buds liked Thirsty Dog better. Gotta get over to Fathead's myself. They really like that one. My son says he's gunna start bringin me glasses from these places too. Just pay'im back & get some cool local glassware. Didn't remember till late in the year to check out the fleamarket.

While you are in Toronto, visit Black Oak Brewing. The owner's name is Ken Woods, a really nice guy, who makes excellent beers. His address is 75 Horner Avenue. Tell him Ben sent you.

Latest posts

Back