Breweries to see in St Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
I'm headed there next week. I plan to see AB but what other breweries/Brew pubs do you suggest we visit? Any good home brew shops? I'll be staying close downtown about 12-14 blocks from the arch.

Check out stlhops.com. It's got a lot of great info on beer in st.louis. As for brewpubs we've had alot open up the last year. I would check out Schlafly Bottleworks, Urban Chestnut, Civil Life Brewing, 4 Hands Brewing, and Perennial Artisian Ales. Schlafly has tons of great beer. Urban Chestnut has a great mix between american and classic german styles. 4 Hands has really solid beers, Perinnial makes alot of belgian style ales, and Civil Life is one of my new favorites. If you go to Civil Life try the bitter, its freaking great.

Buffalo Brewing is also downtown and next to pappys which has the best BBQ in St. Louis. I suggest you grab some pappys for lunch and then grab a beer at Buffalo Brewing. They are on Olive and 1 block east of Compton.

Cool ill be in St Louis the week of the 4th for work. Staying at the Lambert field hilton

I'd skip Morgan Street unless you're down there to go to the arch. Buffalo Brewing, Schlafly Taproom, Urban Chestnut, and Square One are all in fairly close proximity (not walking distance though). Buffalo has a small pub feel with food like mussels and buffalo sausages, Urban Chestnut has an upscale beer selection, Schlafly has a outstanding selection and the ploughman's lunch is excellent, Square One has good selection and distills their own flavored schnapps (and a good burger).

There are a whole lot of new places springing up in StL, its a hotspot for craft beer. I just know these are good ones. I want to hit Perennial and Six-Row soon. Hell I want to go to all of them.

Forgot to mention, St Louis Wine and Beermaking has a good selection of brewing stuff, plus you can get some things at one of the Friar Tucks liquor stores. If you are there Thursday evening and have a vehicle you can contact Kent at Missouri Malt Supply and have him send you a comprehensive list of the stuff he sells, he's out of a graphics design business in Fenton area and his prices are excellent.

If you are out west in St. Charles Trailhead is always tasty. Exit 6 is a pretty cool little place. Closer to the airport is Ferguson Brewing Co which is a nice brewpub.

Six Row Brewing is right near Buffalo Brewing in midtown and is always good. A couple of the wineries in the region also produce or are associated with a brewery. Charleville is near or at a winery as well Crown Valley Brewing. Those are both South of St. Louis by more than an hour.

I kind of know Dan Stauder and thought he might have been working at both places. Not sure he's the head brewer.

And I shouldn't really bash on Morgan Street, they do produce some smooth lagers and they've been around a long time. The styles are pretty basic but well executed. Last time I was in there it was a madhouse because there was a festival.

There are some really good breweries here and nothing against Schlafly or 6 Row but I think 4 Hands and Civil Life are probably the best. For good beers to drink go to ITAP in Soulard, Bailey's Range downtown, or The Bridge Tap Room. You can't go wrong with any of the places but just pointing out my preference.

Schlafly Tap Room on Locust. Skip Morgan Street, those beers are not worth your time.

6 Row, Square One, 4 Hands are all great places too.

Oh, and if you make it out to the 'burbs, Exit 6 is a really great place. It's out in Cottleville, MO.

I just went to Pappys the other day and Buffalo is no longer in business. Dan brews at Kirkwood Station in Kirkwood.

Too bad the Cardinals aren't in town. You could just get a Schlafly there and watch the game. God i miss going to cards games.:(

There isn't that much to see at O'Fallon Brewery, once you've seen one big fermentor you've seen'em all. Good beer but no tasting room.

Hope Buffalo isn't closed, I always enjoy their rye pale ale and a bowl of mussels. Plus I liked the casual atmosphere. Of course with all these places in fairly close proximity, I'm not surprised if some don't make it.

Back