Breweries on Kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weagle05

Reaction score
Has anyone else used kickstarter to try to help out any microbreweries, or to fund their own?

I've put in a few bucks for all of the ones I found actively fundraising now and a hop farm, although many of them don't look like they'll reach their fundraising goal.
It seems like a good way to help the cause (not that there aren't better or more noble causes... like more ingredients and gear for myself). I would definitely pitch in more if any of them were near me, especially within golf cart distance.

Pipeworks was one that was a success (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pipeworks/pipeworks-brewing-chicago-small-batches-big-beers)
and from the looks of it, Wilderness Brewing isn't going to hit theirs http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pipeworks/pipeworks-brewing-chicago-small-batches-big-beers

I think, really, that Kickstarter is a good thing, but it can't be your only source of startup capital. I think planning is the biggest part of trying to put together a brewery. So yeah, it's great resource to use, but a lot fail because they don't have realistic expectations as well.

Cheers!

I think, really, that Kickstarter is a good thing, but it can't be your only source of startup capital. I think planning is the biggest part of trying to put together a brewery. So yeah, it's great resource to use, but a lot fail because they don't have realistic expectations as well.

Definitely, if it only took 35 to 45 thousand dollars to start a commercial brewery or brewpub, a lot of us would be doing it. But for getting some startup capital without sacrificing equity or cash flow, while getting the word out and building a sort of brand loyalty very early kickstarter can't be beat.

Back