Breweries in Williamsburg VA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrewer

Reaction score
I'm taking the fam on a trip to Colonial Williamsburg VA and I usually like to find a local brewery to tour on these trips. I see Ale Werks but was wondering if any locals could recommend where else to visit?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

Legends is about an hour away from col. Williamsburg, and IMO doesn't have a solid enough lineup to warrant the drive. Their brown ale is good however. but right in Williamsburg near the prime outlets is Williamsburg alewerks. The place has not been open when I've been dragged to the outlets, but I hear the beers are solid. Worth a try.

I used to live in Yorktown. Here is a list of good places to go in Williamsburg:

- Cheeseshop for a really great sandwich - in Merchants Square in C.W.
- The Whaling Company - good seafood down the road from C.W.
- Shields Tavern - fantastic period dinners by candellight on Duke of Glouster St. in C.W.
- The Trellis restaurant - very good food - in Merchants Square in C.W.
- The Old Chicahominy House restaurant- go for lunch great brunswick stew and ham biscuits

There were no brew pubs in Williamsburg when I lived there 7 years ago, sorry.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions... Looks like I'll take a trip to the dark side and check out how the big-boys brew their water up for mass consumption. I'm intrigued by automation so it should be interesting...

I remember when I was 12 or 13 we were in williamsburg for vacation and went to the amusement park, Busch Gardens. There they had tours of Budweiser's brewery which I remember pretty well (I especially remember the smells of it) I know the amusement park is still there but I remember hearing a couple years ago that they don't give brewery tours there anymore.

That being said, last Sunday I was at a bar in DC and they had a house ale, that the menu said was made in Williamsburg. I asked the bartender who brewed their house ale, and his reply was "it's budweiser". We both gave a concurring nod and I went on to order a 21st Amendment Black IPA.

Alewerks makes some solid beers. You should still be able to find their spring release Saison around town which is tasty.

St George out of Hampton is OK. I was pleasantly surprised with their summer ale recently. Nice crisp pale ale with English hop character.

The only brewpubs in town are the 2 Green Leafes. The "Old" Leafe has more character and has 25 taps, and is right down the street from Colonial Williamsburg. The "New" Leafe is in New Town, has 50 taps or so, but is pretty soulless.

A good bottleshop is The Wine Seller on Monticello. They also do growler fills. Ask for Phil.

Food is kind of disappointing here, mostly chains. But if you like BBQ, there is Pierce's which is good and an institution, but IMO Hog Wild Smokehouse west of town is better and worth the trip. More upscale, but good, is The Blue Talon.

I know this post is old, but Williamsburg has come a long way since then. Their are 3 good breweries here now. The Virginia Brewing Company, Brass Cannon, and Alewerks. Dog Street Pub has a great tasting room called Hair of the Dog too. Also two distilleries just opened up.. Williamsburg Distillery and Copper Fox. The only thing I wish we had here was a home brew store!

You know there's a great store just down on Oyster Point called Brew & Bottle. It's really not that far.

I know this post is old, but Williamsburg has come a long way since then. Their are 3 good breweries here now. The Virginia Brewing Company, Brass Cannon, and Alewerks. Dog Street Pub has a great tasting room called Hair of the Dog too. Also two distilleries just opened up.. Williamsburg Distillery and Copper Fox. The only thing I wish we had here was a home brew store!

X2 for Alewerks - their Old Stitch Brown Ale is outstanding!

Latest posts

Back