Brewer etiquette when moving to a new apartement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanannan

Reaction score
'lo!

I have a question I would like to have your opinions on.

I just moved to a new apartment. Its a place I plan on living in for a long time, I used up 10+ years of queue-time and a fair amount of money to get it. The question is; should I wait a couple of weeks before I start brewing something? Personally I had planned to start brewing right away but a good friend of mine is very insistent that it could give a "bad first impression" to the landlord and neighbors who might stop by if I start producing alcoholic beverages the first thing I do after I move in.

What do you think?

(apologies if this ended up in the wrong section; wasn't sure here to put it)

Brew on!! You might have to give some previous samples out but I would never look down on my neighbor if he was brewing drinkable beer.

get to know your neighbors first and let them have some of your homebrew. When they say it's awesome let them know you will start making more soon.

Maybe if you brew when you move in you'll learn which neighbors like good beer and make some new friends! The people who don't like the brewing now, probably won't like it any better a few weeks from now so brew on!

I just moved also. I had a buddy over and we double brewed. I had all my neighbors thinking I was making METH. lol. That's the only proper way to welcome a new home is with brewing.

Unless there's anything in your contract that prohibits it, start brewing! The only thing you might want to consider, is how far away from the building you are (if you use propane). I don't know how things are in Sweden, but in the US you can get fined for having an open flame too close to the apartment building.

what is queue-time?

In Gothenburg theres a queue that almost every landlord is subscribed to where they announce vacancies on a common website and then pick a number of applicants (after yearly income, age, etc) and out of those, the one who say they want the apartment (after seeing it) and has the most queue-time gets it.

I'm on the 7th floor out of eight, so no open flames :) . I mostly do 25 litre (one better bottle) batches anyway.

Well, its good to hear I'm not completely out of touch with reality, my friend was very insistent.

Maybe if you brew when you move in you'll learn which neighbors like good beer and make some new friends! The people who don't like the brewing now, probably won't like it any better a few weeks from now so brew on!

This. Anyway, unless there is something in your lease agreement that prohibits it, or unless there is a law forbidding it, then by all means!

Anyone who doesn't like it can just be mad at you when all the cool people hang out at your place!

I still wonder what my neighbors think after brewing at my place for two years. My fiancé once told me she could smell it out in our yard! However nobody's complained yet and if they did I wouldn't care!

If you are brewing indoors, the only thing the neighbors could find objectionable is the smell. You could burn some incense to cover it - of course then the neighbors would think you are trying to cover up what you are smoking. :D

By the way, how do you get 25 liters (6.6 US gallons) into one Better Bottle (6 US gallons is the largest size) ? :)

THe only problem I had when I was brewing in my old apartment was the sauna-like effect I'd get when heating water, then boiling 4-ish gallons for an hour...
That and the lack of storage in the place (small 1bedroom, with one fairly small closet. We couildn;t even use the basement for storage)
so I had beer and brewing equipment all over the place. Among other stuff.

THe only problem I had when I was brewing in my old apartment was the sauna-like effect I'd get when heating water, then boiling 4-ish gallons for an hour...
That and the lack of storage in the place (small 1bedroom, with one fairly small closet. We couildn;t even use the basement for storage)
so I had beer and brewing equipment all over the place. Among other stuff.

Yea if you have a small apartment or room make sure you crack a window or something somewhere...or else all that condensation inside will make it super muggy and will ruin all your wood and walls if you do it enough without wiping up.

Back