Brewed the Deception Cream Stout, rapid fermentation, finished quick. Did I underpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishdude20

Reaction score
Six days ago, I brewed the Deception Cream Stout recipe found here : Sweet Stout - Deception Cream Stout

I did the all grain version BIAB. My mash temperatures were on average 152F give or take 2-3 deg. I started the mash a few degrees high and ended a few low.

I added in some DME to get the numbers right and ended up with almost six gallons at an OG of 1.059.
I used a smack pack of Wyeast 1028, let it do it's expanding for about 3-4 hours and poured it in without a starter.

That night, I went to bed and in the morning day 1, a bunch of vigorous activity, bubbles, lots of krausen etc. That lasted for about a day or so. The next day (day 2), the krausen had fallen, and the bubbles happened every 10-20 seconds or so. I read that bubbles aren't the be all end all indication of fermentation so I waited. On day 6 (today) I took a gravity reading. It's now at 1.027 (the recipe says it finishes at 1.020) . So now I wait. It's only been six days and it's got an estimated month it destined for.

Now my question is, should I expect it to fall down to 1.020 in the next three weeks? Or is fermentation mainly done and now I'm just conditioning? Did I underpitch my yeast possibly?

Yeast are still working steadily doing cleanup and other functions. Sounds like you do not have any temperature controls in place so it likely fermented pretty quickly. Be patient and check in a few days. Hopefully it will be close to your target. Then check again a couple days after that. If the gravity has not changed then it is done.

so, the proscribed fermentation time was a month and you're worried that it's not finished in 25% of the suggested time?

There is some lactose in there which will contribute to the final gravity. It is supposed to be sweet. Previous advice is good.. give it some more time.

What temp did you ferment at? Id leave it for 2 weeks then warm it up a bit for a few days so the yeast can finish cleaning things up. You will drop a few gravity points from that but if you finish a few point higher than the recipe says its not really a big deal. That lactose will make you finish higher anyway.

Latest posts

Back