Brewed my 2nd batch today.. "Rocky Pale Ale" from Midwest Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you mean the OG was 1.051. OG=Original Gravity, gravity before fermantation. FG=final gravity, gravity after fermentation. Looking at the ingredients list, 1051 seems right. FG for this will probably be about 1010-1013. Looks like a tasty pale!:mug:

Thanks, I knew that, just messed it up. I edited it.

I'm pretty excited to see how it ends up! I hope the 1.051 is good. I followed the directions and that's where it's at.

damn, I feel dumb. I looked everywhere but there. So I am a little low. I am guessing that I don't do anything. Just let it go and let it make beer.

Thanks.

Some ideas on your OG:
Did you correct your gravity reading for the temperature of the sample?
Also you might have gotten a sample that was not fully mixed after topping off to 5 gallons.
Did you top up above the amount of the recipe?
IMO - not far enough off to worry about. You should get very good beer.
Also IMO - Extract recipes are hard to kill.

Don't do anything but control the temperatures and wait for it to get to it's best. And Yes, brew more. I have 4 batches in bottles, one in secondary, a kit in the fridge awaiting brew day on Thursday and I feel I don't have enough choices.:D
:mug:

And to help in the future on your OG and FG's... here's some ways to help figure what it should be.. With an OG of 1.052 .. you take the last two digits (52) divide by 4= 13, convert that to 1.013, which is your target (estimated) FG .. then as for your ABV% ( acohol content) you take your (1.052-1.013)x 131= ABV% which is 5.1% .. Hope this helps.

The 1.051 was a corrected gravity reading. The wort was about 70 deg when I took the measurement. I am not too worried about it now that I know what it was supposed to be. The first reading was 1.060 for where I thought my water level should be based on what I left in the brew kettle to avoid transfering trub. Then I added more water to the level suggested by the instructions. (It said to fill "just above" the 5 gal mark). I ended up at the 1.051.

If I would have seen the suggested OG on the instructions I think I could have hit it dead on. But I think it will work out to be a pretty good beer anyway.

I looked this morning and I do have airlock activity. Yes, I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything but it does make a noob feel better. Especially since I used a liquid yeast this time. Wyeast smack pack. It was at 66 deg sitting on my basement floor. I feel pretty good about that too. Ambient temp in that room is 62 right now.

Back