Brewed First IPA, OG Lower than Beer Kit said it should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcancila

Reaction score
Hello Folks!

I brewed my first beer this past Sunday. I went with an IPA kit from brewers best. I did my research, internalized all the tips I could from this site and followed the directions exactly. After I cooled the wort and siphoned into my fermentation carboy, I did an Starting Gravity reading as the kit instructed. I yielded a 1.050 but the kit called for a SG of 1.065.

The next morning my fermentation already took off! There was alot of activity and I am getting alot of bubbling. As of today, 9/15 the fermentation continues to be carrying on, I even am getting some great aromas coming from my carboy. Is that a problem that my SG was not 1.065?

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was that I used two 3 gallon pots while brewing. The recipe called for 2.5 gallons in one pot and I figured my 3 gallon pot would not be large enough so i went with 1.5 gallons of water in each pot and did a thorough job separating all the ingredients. At the end of the 60 minute boil I combined both pots into one and cooled my wort in my sink. Could this have had anything to do with it?

I appreciate any help?

Well, there's no major concern in not hitting the OG right on. The real consequence is that the beer will not have as much alcohol and will probably not be quite as malty as it was attended. The beer may seem more bitter in comparison to the level of malt. I'm assuming this was an extract kit?... If so, the only explanation is that your final volume was higher than the recipe dictated or you forgot to compensate for temp when taking the gravity reading.

Well, the potential on the kit's malt could have been calculated incorrectly also.

Anyway, RDWHAHB!

If this is an extract batch, it's very unlikely that your OG was off if your volumes were on (unless the HBS screwed up). There are many things that could have given you a bad reading. Live and learn. Eventually, you'll know and understand why you get bad readings, but for now YOU HAVE FERMENTING BEER!!!

:mug:

I'll bet it smells like beer.... Relax, Don't Worry, Have A (Home) Brew in the meantime

There's one other cause for incorrect OG that hasn't been mentioned, and that is that you added some top-off water and didn't mix it in with the wort well enough. You measured a diluted part of the wort, and other parts would have a higher gravity.
Apart from not knowing what the OG really was, it doesn't make any difference. The yeast have already stirred it up.

-a.

There's one other cause for incorrect OG that hasn't been mentioned, and that is that you added some top-off water and didn't mix it in with the wort well enough. You measured a diluted part of the wort, and other parts would have a higher gravity.
Apart from not knowing what the OG really was, it doesn't make any difference. The yeast have already stirred it up.

-a.

+1

We need a sticky that says "If your OG is off and you brewed with extract, don't worry. It's damn near impossible to screw up OG with extract, (unless you end up with 3 gal or 7 gal post boil), and if you topped off with water, 99/100 times it's just not well mixed when you pull your sample."

Way to go pcancila!! First beers are awesome, second beers are better, and it's all uphill from there!:mug:

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Yes, I did use an extract kit. It seems that i either did not mix the top off water well enough or i did not compensate for temperature.

Long as i have beer in the end i will be happy! :mug:

If the Alcohol is a little lower than it should be, there is always an easy fix, just have another one!!! ;)

Back