Brewed a sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeasonAngler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a sour/lambic beer. I have no idea what they taste like but I do know that the beer I bottled last night tastes... funny.

Flashback to January 6th 2013, I have an 11 gallon batch of tangerine IPA (tangerine zest in the boil 2 oz. @ 10min.) split into a pair of 6 gallon carboys. One carboy was aerated and pitched with a 1L starter of Wyeast 1098, the other was aerated and pitched with a 1L starter of Pacman built up from dregs of 2 bombers of Rogue Shakespeare Stout. Both carboys pitched at 66 degrees, and set into fermentation chamber temp controlled to 65 degrees.

2 weeks later the 1098 carboy was sitting at 1.014 from 1.064, and the Pacman carboy was at 1.058. :confused: Why did I wait 2 weeks to check on my beer? I make it a point to pitch and walk away since my experience has shown that messing with my brews before they finish up leads to mistakes and fuels impatience. I've never had a beer that didn't take off within 24 hours of pitching yeast...

The 1098 batch was dry-hopped and bottled, beer turned out great. On HBT advice I pitched a stand-by slurry of Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes into the Pacman batch. I did notice that the samples before re-pitch were very cloudy and had an "off" flavor I thought may have been tangerine pith-like with some sourness or "pucker" to it. I was worried, yes, but the fact that the wort was still drinkable (to me at least), and the other batch was great helped to calm my worries.

So last night I bottled this batch after a 10 day dry hop that started when the beer hit 1.009 and stayed there for 3 days straight. I also cold crashed for 3 days and added gelatin to clear it up. Crystal clear bear, beautiful amber/orange color, glorious cascade/centenial aroma from 4 oz dry hop, but that "off" sourness flavor is still there.

It's totally drinkable, no slick mouthfeel, no fruity esters, no bad aftertaste, but it's got this odd hint of pucker that is just not IPA typical.

My question is, how do I find out if this is indeed a sour/lambic/wild yeast brew? Is there a commercial on the market that I can compare it to? Has anyone had experience getting this result from a two week delay in fermentation?

How does it taste different than the 1098 batch? Probably if you can describe the off flavor in more detail we can help you get an idea of what is going on. It takes a long time for things like pedio and brett to give character to a beer while lacto can add sourness much faster. However, hops are not friendly to lacto so we can pretty well rule that out as the offender. I'm guessing you have something going on outside of your typical wild bugs going on.

I wish I know how to describe the flavor better than what I said above. I'll have to go home and sample a bit more, but it slightly reminded me of the smell of rotting apples at an orchard. I've never tasted rotting apples, but the closest I can guess is apple cider vinegar?

I'll probably end up bringing a sample to my LHBS to see what they think...

If its cidery apple that is acetaldehyde which if it gets really bad can taste like an apple Jolly Rancher. If it is more of a vinegar character then that is produced by acetic acid which is an infection and it will continue to get worse. If you want to sample something with that character get a Flemish style beer such as an Oud Bruin or a Flanders Red.

I wish I know how to describe the flavor better than what I said above. I'll have to go home and sample a bit more, but it slightly reminded me of the smell of rotting apples at an orchard. I've never tasted rotting apples, but the closest I can guess is apple cider vinegar?

I'll probably end up bringing a sample to my LHBS to see what they think...

What brew store are you going to?

Back