Brewed a saison... started it too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
Hey all,

Made a batch using Wyeast 3724, which does well with 80+ degree temperatures. However, listening to Jamil's podcast about saisons, he says it's important to start around 70 degrees and slowly work your way up; however, I've been at around 80-82 since pitching. Is this problematic?

If it matters, used 6.6 pounds LME, 1.5 lbs of honey and some cane sugar. OG was 1.06.

I have only done one time, but I do it the opposite way start out at about 80 and work down to the 70s. It came out fine, he may be making that reccomendation because the yeast do generate heat, so if you start out at 80+ the extra 5 or 10 degrees from the fermentation might be enough to stress the yeast. But stressed yeast is what adds that nice flavor.... bit of a conundrum eh.

Usually, the higher you start, the more fusel alcohols and other undesirable by-products (other alcohol related nasty tastes) are produced. I have made several siasons over the years and always ferment around 70 F or so, within a few degrees either way. They have all turned out fine. I have never fermented a beer over 70 degrees, so I can't really comment on a hotter ferment, other than what I said above.

Bah - I didn't aerate properly, and now fermentation is apparently stuck. Going to try and culture some readily-available hefe yeast (the brew store isn't convenient) to finish so I'll wait til a future batch to settle this temperature question.

Thanks for the help.

Back