Brewed a kit from 1997 last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Yesterday my boss gave me a bunch of equipment his Dad used to use when he home brewed. Got a few 5 gallon glass carboys, a beer thermometer, a few hydrometers, airlocks, carboy brush, 3 cases of bottles and a few other odds and ends. Among the equipment was a kit for an american pilsner with a receipt attached and dated 1997. It included 6lbs DME, 1lbs dry rice extract, 1/2lbs carapils, 1/2oz hallertauer, 1/2oz saaz, some irish moss, some amalayze enzyme and 5oz dextrose. Everything was vacuum sealed, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Only thing I had to lose was time. I'm an AG brewer so doing a partial boil, stove top extract kit is a walk in the park compared to my normal brew day.

The DME and rice extract were solid as a rock. The hops smelled like tobacco. The crushed grains actually smelled okay, believe it or not, but I didn't go as far as to taste them. I took a hammer to the bag of DME and rice extract and crushed them as well as I could without destroying the bags they were in. I used some fresh hop pellets I had in place of the tobacco hops and pitched some washed US-05. I'm going to add the amalayze enzyme once fermentation gets going. I have no idea if it's still good (what is the shelf life of that stuff?) but I figure if it does work, it definitely won't hurt being that the other ingredients are so old.

I have no delusions of this beer turning out good, but I thought it would be cool to give it to my boss once it's done in appreciation for the equipment. It's the last batch of beer his Dad never got to brew before he passed away. I figure I'll put it in his Dad's bottles and use as much of his equipment as I can. Then maybe him and his brother can drink a few in his Dad's memory.

I'd never heard of Rice Extract before. Did he give you all that equipment for free? If so he deserves to be on the receiving end of your beer for some time.

He did give it to me for free and aside from giving him the beer from his Dad's kit, I was planning on brewing him a nice AG Oatmeal Stout as well.

Oh and regarding the rice extract, I had never seen it before either. The bag had a label on it that said "dry rice extract - 1lbs" and that was it. Obviously I have heard of using adjuncts in american lagers, but I've never made a recipe like that.

thats a very cool thing of you to do. seems to me that homebrewers really flex their brew muscles when it comes down to doing something generous for someone else having to do with beer.

props to you sir

I came home tonight and this beer was bubbling away so I added the amalayze enzyme. I don't know why, but I'm kind of excited to taste what will surely be an oxidized mess of a beer.

I wonder why the kit came with the amalayze? For extract it seems unnecessary.

I wonder why the kit came with the amalayze? For extract it seems unnecessary.

All the extract kits I ever did seemed to finish really high, plus this is an "american style pilsner" which is supposed to finish super dry anyway. The FG listed in the instructions was 1.002. I'm assuming you'd need the amalayze to get that low of an FG with extract.

I came home tonight and this beer was bubbling away so I added the amalayze enzyme. I don't know why, but I'm kind of excited to taste what will surely be an oxidized mess of a beer.

Maybe I'm a total noob, but why would it oxidize from the ingredients being old?

Maybe I'm a total noob, but why would it oxidize from the ingredients being old?

I just assume that with the ingredients being 13 years old, they have to be stale by now. DME typically lasts longer than LME but it doesn't last forever. If you use stale ingredients then you get stale beer. Ever made a beer with an old can of extract?

Interesting about the amalayse. I thought that would only be useful for a partial mash situation using the caraplis, then bringing the wort to a boil and adding the DME. Even then, the 1/2 pound sounds like they would be steeping grains.

Amalayze doesn't have to be used in a mash. If you put it in a ferment, it will still break down long chain sugars so that the yeast can process them.

Great story!! I hope that it turns out just so they can enjoy the beer that their dad never got to make!!

Keep us updated!!

Nice glade to hear the it stated. I have to say I lost my dad 05/24/08 and started hb later that summer so I was never able to share a hb with him. So as simple as this may be it will be HUGE to them to drink dads beer even if he's not there to drink it with them. GOOD JOB

Wonder if the beer'll taste "vintage" like some old ales like J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (vintage dated). haha.

Really, though, you'll never get rich if you get stuff for free and then make beer from it and give it back to the guy. Keep that brew for yourself! You thanked him verbally, that's enough.

Kidding. Totally. If it's a really good beer (though I question the age of the ingredients), then certainly give it back to him. If it's wretched, then brew him a phat batch of something tasty and righteous.

Definitely a nice story. Thanks for sharing. And GOOD LUCK with that brew, eh?

Latest posts

Back