Brewed a honey Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
I just brewed a honey Weizen on Sunday. I looked at my temps in primary and its a 70. Will this cause problems down the road and is it to late to put in my basement? Should I put in the basement when I do the secondary? My basement is very damp and not very clean like dusty will it be ok.

I depends on what yeast your using. 68 is a good temp for most ale yeast but not all, so 70 is probably not terrible high. As long as you have an airlock in and make sure to sanatize and clean around the lid or bung before opening it you should be alright in your basement, however if its cooler down there I would let it go at or around this temp for another week or so before putting down.

Temp should be fine. Are you making any additions to the secondary? This might be a good beer to leave in primary for the whole fermentation. I used to secondary all beers until reading on here the pros /cons. Now I only secondary if dry hopping or adding anything else to merit a transfer.

And +1 on the airlock.

Temp should be fine. Are you making any additions to the secondary? This might be a good beer to leave in primary for the whole fermentation. I used to secondary all beers until reading on here the pros /cons. Now I only secondary if dry hopping or adding anything else to merit a transfer.

And +1 on the airlock.

Only reason I do a secondary is so I can brew another one. But this one I'm not do it. I want to see how it's with out doing a secondary.

70F is fine for a weizen (assuming its actually a wheat yeast), just a lil more banana

weizen yeasts very commonly produce esters with a banana like character, higher temps cause more esters

weizen yeasts very commonly produce esters with a banana like character, higher temps cause more esters

Just out of curiosity have you tested this?. Have you personally fermented a wheat beer around 70 and another around the low 60's? I agree ester and phenol production should be higher at a higher temp from what I have read. But I to often find differences is book knowledge and field knowledge. I recently brewed a dunkel and fermented around 70, today i bottled a hefe that I fermented at 63 using the same yeast.

i havent done it with a wheat, but i have with others. I don't like banana so i ferment wheats cold, but i've tasted warmer fermented ones and theres definitely more banana. its fairly standard that you get more esters at higher temps in any yeast.

Alright if anyone is curious to know. The hefe I fermented at 62 has a very potent banana character, the clove is there and noticeable as well. The dunkel that I fermented at 72 using the same yeast (wlp300) was overpowering clove with little banana. This isn't a side by side comparison as there not the same grain bill ( although very similar) but I don't know how or if a grain bill would or could effect the ester and phenols of the yeast. Any way. When I brew a hefe or dunkel again ill surly ferment in the low 60's

Back