Brewed a Belgian Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
So I just bottled my 3rd dark batch in a row, and felt like I wanted something light. I threw together a quick recipe as follows.... Any thoughts on how this will turn out?

9lb light LME
0.5lb Munich grain, mashed? (steeped in pot for 60m in 155degree oven and sparged?)
0.5lb dextrose
0.5lb cane sugar
0.2lb buckwheat honey
Boiled size 2.5G

1oz saaz 60min
1oz saaz 30min
1oz saaz 15min
Pinch of coriander at 5min (powder, ya I know)
1oz Willamette 0min

T-58 fermentis rehydrated yeast

My FG ended up exactly at 1.021.... sample tasted delicious.... I bottled to CO volume of 3.... really looking forward to this one.

So... the beer is entering the drinkable phase. the flavor of this beer I can't really put my finger on. It's got a kind of sour taste on the nose and a peppery / clove flavor as well. It's not very sweet... any idea what style I would call this? Belgian Blonde? Belgian Double? Saison?

So... the beer is entering the drinkable phase. the flavor of this beer I can't really put my finger on. It's got a kind of sour taste on the nose and a peppery / clove flavor as well. It's not very sweet... any idea what style I would call this? Belgian Blonde? Belgian Double? Saison?

Wait another 2 weeks before naming it. I think the flavor will change enough by then to let you choose the right name.

It was great.

By coincidence I tried a Napanee Belgian Pale Ale and it tasted very similar to that. We must have followed the same recipe.

Unfortunately I drank the majority around 3 weeks after bottling and it never really matures in flavor until 4-5 weeks but I'm still enjoying the last few of the batch. Had one last night.

Back