Brewday Couture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got to thinking, as I sometimes do on a Friday night when I've had a few; what question can I ask the GHD community this week? And today I came up with:

What favorite item of clothing do you consistently wear (or try to, if it's not filthy from the LAST brewday) (ask me how I know) on a brewday? For either comfort, or the belief that it brings you luck in the brewday?

For me it's a rather beat-up hoodie that I got from my last job; big enough to fit over a couple of shirts if it's too cold in the garage, but not so baggy that it gets in the way. That pocket is great for holding my thermometer and other small items that I don't want to set down somewhere and forget. Also my most excellent brewboots; cheap rainboots that I got on Amazon to protect my tootsies from hot sticky wort or dirty water. And now I have a new one; just recently rediscovered the art of crocheting, and I made myself a few slouch hats, from yarn that I've had for years, that cover my hair completely, are washable, and keep my head warm out here. I think the hoodie brings me luck, dunno why because I hated that job at the end, but I've always made good beers while wearing it, at least that's what I tell myself.

Anyone?

Cervical collar. I've put a grain sock over it because it makes it much more breathable and comfortable and it's actually the first thought I had when I read "Brewday Coututre" ;)
IMG_1257.jpg

I always wear jeans, socks and shoes, along with whatever is appropriate for the weather for a shirt, t-shirt or t-shirt and hoodie.
(often have Reebok safety shoes on as well, because they are the most comfortable work shoes I have)
Even if it is Alabama summer, dealing with hot boiling sticky stuff, I'd rather not get it on me and take a chance on getting burned.

A couple of buddies were brewing, both wearing shorts, one had on tennis shoes, a hose came loose and filled his shoe with hot boiling wort, other buddy said, it was almost funny watching him hop around hollering.

Last edited:
Having had my pot and a few other items slip from my hands over the years, steel toe boots are an essential sartorial choice for me on brew day.

Shorts, sneakers and a thin dry fit shirt on mash night. If it’s chilly out I might have long exercise pants on and open the doors. Boil morning is typically with PJs and coffee

I don’t wear anything special or anything I consider lucky. Sometimes its whatever is clean. I’ll put on a sweatshirt over a t-shirt in the winter that I will usually ending up taking back off once I get moving around. Most of my brewing stuff is in the basement and I brew on my electric system in the kitchen. So alot of up and down stairs.

I wore an insulated flannel shirt today - but just when I went outside to stir or add hop additions to the boil. And of course when i had to connect the chiller hose to the chiller. But that is not an every brew day thing, it was just a little chilly today. (+8 F at flame out )

The whole rig is permanently placed in the basement so sweatpants and slippers, t-shirt and ball cap is pretty typical.

No "good luck" gear per se though the one homebrew competition medal I have so far is nice to look at while running a batch.

Back