Brewday Catastrophe....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random_Guy

Reaction score
Wanted to brew some beer while some friends were visiting. Got a Haus Pale ale kit and was ready to brew. Was looking to make a mash tun to do an all grain. Mash tun wasn't ready yet but I had some ideas to try that should have worked. Well I should have waited cuz disaster was around the corner. I had asked my buddy who was pretty drunk at the time to help and he lifted a pot and lost his balance and ell off my deck spilling the mash everywhere. All those delicious grains and wort just flew all over the ground. Such is life I guess. I still have the hops and yeast so I am just going to get the grains again and will be fine.

:mug: Cheers!

It was my fault really. I should have held off one more day but got too excited about doing this. Oh well. Live and learn. I just ordered replacement grains.

Fell off the deck?!?!?

With a pot of hot wort?!?!?

That's like falling out of a tree with a chainsaw, some combination of horrifying and hilarious.

Fell right over. Pot, Wort and all. Dumped it all over him. I think he was too drunk to feel any pain. Not sure how he is now though but I am betting he is ok. He felt so bad, he decided to punish himself and slept on my deck in the cold. An Homage to the fallen grains. Silly fool. It rained.

It was interesting.

This is hysterical. I know you probably don't have any pics of this, but could you draw the events, comic book style?

I wish I had pics. I had just purchased a Nikon D3000 for my wife as an early birthday gift so she could take photos of my brew, take photos of my daughter and since my friends were down visiting, she could get pics with them. She has some of the night but not the fall. I am a pretty horrible artist so a picture would not do justice. I will however try to explain it as best I can. It happened real fast and well here it goes....

Picture my back deck. I believe it is something like 10x12 at least. I had all my burners and pots and such in the far corner so I can get to it all from the ground. Deck is about to my knees which is roughly 2 ft. Works pretty good for what I am doing. Now I have 2 plain burners with 2 pots on them heating up some sparge water and a turkey fryer setup heating up my strike water(I eventually planned on making that my mash tun which is the start of my problem). Well to cut to the chase I used the fryer pot to mash my grains and it didn't work well so I was going to strain the grains and the dump in the sparge water and go from there. Well I had asked him to come pickup the pot from the fryer and pour for me. The fryer pot fits onto the burner very snug and can be a pain to slide up to get it out. Well he had some trouble and when he finally got it out he lost his balance and started falling forward. Now the edge of the deck is right there to he stepped off and went tumbling with the pot. His feet went up over his head and he landed on his side/head/back and the pot hit the ground and continues to dump everywhere. The pot dented big time on the bottom and he just sat there covered in hot grains and looking pretty sad. I just stood there in awe.

...Well he had some trouble and when he finally got it out he lost his balance and started falling forward. Now the edge of the deck is right there to he stepped off and went tumbling with the pot. His feet went up over his head and he landed on his side/head/back and the pot hit the ground and continues to dump everywhere. The pot dented big time on the bottom and he just sat there covered in hot grains and looking pretty sad. I just stood there in awe.

This sounds like a cartoon!

I wish I could see it all over again. All I cared about was saving the brew which failed. My buddy is alright but his dignity has dwindled. All in all it wasn't too bad of a night. I did after all get mucho brownie points with the wife for getting her a kick ass camera.

I am hoping to get some pics so you guys have a better idea as to where he fell. It wasnt far at all, but it still sucked for the beer....

Moment of silence please.

It's been a week and I am still cleaning up grains that were shot over 10 feet from the point of impact. Apparently they flew all over the siding of the house. I will be cleaning this up tonight. What a mess.

On a plus note I got my replacement grains and once the mash tun is complete..... Haus Pale Ale Brew Day ver. 2.0

Back