BrewCipher question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownHillonWater

DownHillonWater Brews
Reaction score
@VikeMan:

I'm a huge fan of BrewCipher. Great work overall and new step mash sheet is very helpful. A couple questions.

1. For CaCl2, are the calculations based on molecular weight of anhydrate or dihydrate?
2. In version 5.1 I've noticed that the strike water temperature is different between the recipe and the step mash sheets (usually by 2 degF). Are there different assumptions for the sheets?
3. Do the gravity calculations in the recipe sheet incorporate thermal contraction of water from lauter temperatures to room temperature?

Thanks in advance for your help. Steve

Last edited:
Sorry Steve, I don't get over here to HBT very often, so I'm just now seeing this.

1. For CaCl2, are the calculations based on molecular weight of anhydrate or dihydrate?

dihydrate

2. In version 5.1 I've noticed that the strike water temperature is different between the recipe and the step mash sheets (usually by 2 degF). Are there different assumptions for the sheets?

As long as you don't change (override) anything on the top part of the step mash sheet, the strike water temps should be identical, assuming you input the same target for Rest 1. If you find that not to be the case, I'd be happy to take a look at a copy of your workbook.

@VikeMan:
3. Do the gravity calculations in the recipe sheet incorporate thermal contraction of water from lauter temperatures to room temperature?

Not explicitly, because they never assume any gravity measurements at lauter temps. All gravities shown in Brewcipher are assumed to be "at the calibration temp of a good hydrometer" if that helps.

Back