Brewathon - What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Hey gang,

SWMBO will be out of town visiting her folks at the beach for a week. I'm planning a Brewathon to fill up the pipeline and brew some beers that can age for a while. I'll have 5 nights and I'm planning on brewing for at least 4 of them. Right now here's what I'm thinking:

RIS
Barleywine
Some sort of sour?
Pumpkin beer possibly?
Maybe an oaked beer?

I've got a brown ale that's waiting for a keg to free up and an Octoberfest and a Saison currently fermenting. These three will take me a while to get through, so I'll have my guess at least 3+ months to age the Brewathon beers. Really I'd have no problem letting them sit longer for that matter.

What would you guys brew? :mug:

Dark Belgian strong, christmas beer and a porter would be good for a few months of conditioning.

I would definitely suggest something sour if you have the capacity to meet your patience.

The roeselare yeast would be an easy way to break right in.

First off, I'm jealous!!!!

But I would brew up a full rainbow of beers:
-A light wheat like a Weihenstephaner
-A bitter like an Old Speckled Hen
-A moderate hoppy IPA like SNIPA
-A sour like La Roja
-A big RIS like Old Rasputian

... but in the end, brew whatever makes you happy while we all hate your freedom! Ha!

Hey gang,

SWMBO will be out of town visiting her folks at the beach for a week. I'm planning a Brewathon to fill up the pipeline and brew some beers that can age for a while. I'll have 5 nights and I'm planning on brewing for at least 4 of them. Right now here's what I'm thinking:

RIS
Barleywine
Some sort of sour?
Pumpkin beer possibly?
Maybe an oaked beer?

I've got a brown ale that's waiting for a keg to free up and an Octoberfest and a Saison currently fermenting. These three will take me a while to get through, so I'll have my guess at least 3+ months to age the Brewathon beers. Really I'd have no problem letting them sit longer for that matter.

What would you guys brew? :mug:

Well, why not a Barleywine... a SMASH even, but brew them using different yeasts... preferably one winding up of Bretts.

That way you can get a barleywine and a sourish beer.

All good suggestions. Not a huge Belgian guy, which I know is sacriledge, but I hate raisins, and dubbels and quads have that funky dried fruit flavor I can't get into yet.

Today I'm thinking RIS, barleywine, hoppy red (that I'll dryhop closer to drinking) and a Christmas beer.

Rock on! Sounds like a good lineup there. Hey, you think your swmbo would mind taking the rest of ours along with her to the beach?

Rock on! Sounds like a good lineup there. Hey, you think your swmbo would mind taking the rest of ours along with her to the beach?

Don't ever do that, they'll come back with a plan to stop us brewing at all.

Or find the guy who brew the less (like one batch a year) and come back saying to us "Well it seems like 5 gallons is just enough for a year for every one else"

Sadly I let this opportunity pass and went out and shot pool with my buddies instead.

However, hope springs eternal and I'm getting another shot next weekend, as SWMBO is going to Texas to visit her brother and meet our new nephew. Brewathon is back on!

The lineup:
Spring Saison with thyme, rosemary and orange
Pale ale with NZ hops
Hibiscus Berlinner Weisse
Porter with roasted pecans

Whoop whoop!

Back