Brew What you Like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, This seems like a fairly basic thing. Brew what you like to drink. But BE SURE you like what you drink.
I just bottled my Watermelon Weissbier.....and when I tasted the gravity sample, I just realized...I DON"T LIKE WHEAT BEER! I've never liked it. Never had one that I did like, and I've tried about 2. I don't know why the heck I decided to make 5 gallons of it, but I did...

...Lesson Learned.

Ok, This seems like a fairly basic thing. Brew what you like to drink. But BE SURE you like what you drink.
I just bottled my Watermelon Weissbier.....and when I tasted the gravity sample, I just realized...I DON"T LIKE WHEAT BEER! I've never liked it. Never had one that I did like, and I've tried about 2. I don't know why the heck I decided to make 5 gallons of it, but I did...

...Lesson Learned.

But brewing every style and keeping notes of the ones you dont like are great right?

But brewing every style and keeping notes of the ones you dont like are great right?

OH YA!
I even offered to beer swap with someone with confirmed cases of bad beer...IF you can give a real explanation of what's wrong with it...just for the experience.

As it turns out, I realized that I used Safe Ale T-58, and mostly....it was at 70 - 80 degrees most of the ferment. It's the Wheat Banana/clove that I don't' like.

...Lesson Learned.

I love wheat beer. Can I have it?

OH YA!
I even offered to beer swap with someone with confirmed cases of bad beer...IF you can give a real explanation of what's wrong with it...just for the experience.

As it turns out, I realized that I used Safe Ale T-58, and mostly....it was at 70 - 80 degrees most of the ferment. It's the Wheat Banana/clove that I don't' like.

Hell I'll Swap with ya I love the banana taste.

OH YA!

Yeah I hate the banana clove bubble gum esters. I think I'm really sensitive to it, because I can't even stand a hoegaarden wit because I can taste the banana esters coming through. Love me a blue moon though and sam adams white ale .

Do you like Blue Moon BigKahuna? or Sam Adams white ale mmmm

Yeah I hate the banana clove bubble gum esters. I think I'm really sensitive to it, because I can't even stand a hoegaarden wit because I can taste the banana esters coming through. Love me a blue moon though and sam adams white ale .

Do you like Blue Moon BigKahuna? or Sam Adams white ale mmmm

I'll Pick some up tomorrow and we'll see.

I even liked the Paulaner once I got into it....It just isn't what I am set for in a beer.

No wheat beers? How sad life would be without a nice Bavarian Hefeweizen every so often...

Send me your beer if you don't want it :)

you don't have to use that kind of yeast in a wheat beer.

I can verify that. One of my friends, who brews, screwed up his dunkelweizen by putting in the wrong yeast. The result tasted NOTHING like a typical wheat beer, but it was still very drinkable.

Oh, man, my forbidden fruit wheat (no fruit, just the verboden vrucht yeast on a hefe recipe) is one of the single most refreshing, quaffable beers I've ever had, including commercial beer. I really feel sorry for you if you don't like wheat beer. You do realize that the banana/clove/bubblegum esters are a function of the fermentation and not the wheat, right? You could ferment a "wheat beer" with WLP-001 at 65F and you'd have none of that stuff.

So...don't give up on wheat beers yet, Kahuna.

I've found this adage to be true as well. After my first few brews I started trying to make something my wife would like. I toned down the bitterness, did some overall less hoppy beers etc. Then the more I talk about it with her, she likes some of the beers, but because of a weight issue would not even drink a full beer any day of the week. So I've decided, I'll drink what I like, and if anyone else likes it too, great!

I have about 45 bottles (left) of a trap quad I made in March of LAST YEAR. I can't drink it. It's too rich. Everyone that's tasted it loves it. Those that know say I should enter it in competition. I suppose I should just start giving it away :)

Anybody live near Carrollton, VA? :)

dale

I have three beers styles I'm working on - once I have exactly what I want out of a style I'll move on.

I understand about making a style just for the sake of making a style but . . . .why!!!

Have a vision of a perfect beer and work on THAT beer to perfect it!

I have been "feeling" this sentiment recently. My second AG batch was a Strawberry Wit that I made because:
a) my friend makes an extract version, and all of our friends love it
b) we're having a birthday party for this guy, and I thought it would be nifty

Unfortunately, I can't stand fruit beer. I was very unenthusiastic throughout its lifecycle to date. (for the record, it cleaned up very nicely, and is actually a kick-ass beer right now)

My most recent batch was an Oktoberfest style ale, which I love. I was so looking forward to the brew day, and planned everything out... paying attention to details. Most everything went right.

Definitely brew what you like to drink. It pays dividends!

I am not a fan of the clove esters and learned that officially after brewing one. That keg is still hogging a keg tap, I can't tell if this is like the never ending keg or if it just seems like it because I have like 6 other beers ready to go on that I actually want to drink.

That said, I love an american wheat.

I have a belgian wit fermenting right now. I haven't liked any of the samples of it, but the SWMBO loves it and it isn't even done yet. I guess that's some sort of success. Now she can nurse 5 gallons of beer for God knows how long and that frees me up to brew what I like for a good while.

Back