brew water using distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to brew good beer using 100% distilled water and then adding minerals like gypsum, Epsom salt and calcium chloride to bring the mineral content to a normal level for the type of beer you are brewing?

I was using the bru'in water spreadsheet earlier and it appears that you can replicate soft water for pilsner this way relatively easy and control almost every aspect of your water but I am concerned there is something that is missing from this process that will leave the beer tasting bad or bland.

Any thoughts?

Yes it's possible to do. Many people use RO, which would be like pilsner water, as their base water.

Yes, I use ro/di water for everything. I generally just follow the water primer thread, adding calcium chloride and gypsum (as necessary) to get the ph in the right place. I do occassionally measure my pH but generally just trust the ph calculation of EZ water (and now the new and calculator at brewersfriend.com).

Yes, I use ro/di water for everything. I generally just follow the water primer thread, adding calcium chloride and gypsum (as necessary) to get the ph in the right place. I do occassionally measure my pH but generally just trust the ph calculation of EZ water (and now the new and calculator at brewersfriend.com).

Good to know... Thanks

Back