Brew warmer...comments please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbatrev

Reaction score
When I decided to try home brewing my wife was very supportive. I was amazed when she even said " I can't wait to taste what you make." So I purchased my first beer kit...Mr. Beer.

Well okay, before I really had the kit started, I also purchased a better kit. A brewcraft starter kit, from my local Home Brew shop.

As I was going over the instructions, and learning what I could online. My wife passed by me one evening and asked " where on the porch do you plan to put these?" .....( we live in Portland, Oregon, not an option )

Ummm, in the closet I said. As the scowl hit her face, and said something about not dealing with the smell...or something like that. I wasn't really listening at this time you see. I thought, hey our house is probably never above 70 degrees for any extended time. Both of us working, and the boy at school.

Why not build a brew warmer. Not only for the brew, but the bottles as well when they get started. So I started, and here is what I came up with.

We have a large shed with power behind the house.

warmer01.jpg

warmer03.jpg

warmer05.jpg

warmer06.jpg

This unit measures 4 feet wide, 28 inches tall, 25 inches deep.
It is made with half inch plywood, 1x2 spacers. There is r19 insulation between each panel. The heat source is a small utility heater from Home Depot, along with the basic baseboard heater thermostat.

Let me know what you think. Did I miss anything? what should I add?

Thanks

nice job, looks like you got it. keeping the wifey happy is half the battle with brewing!

My only suggestion would be to put some vinyl flooring type material on the floor. There will be spills at some point.

Looks awesome. I live in New England and have been thinking about building a warm fermentation chamber like this for the barn.

When you say utility heater, is that the same as a typical space heater? My only concern is it being a fire hazard...

I went through the same worry. Yes, it is a small space heater. Howver it is on the lowest heat setting. (nice for the power bill) And, it has its own safety shut off. I think I did okay with the insulation, the darn thing barely runs. Once the "box" got warm, it holds it heat very well.

Thank you Wayne1, I never thought of floor tiles. When I clear this batch out, I will make a quick trip to Home Depot for some peel and stick action.

Thanks everyone

I might suggest a small fan in there to distribute heat evenly. If the temps are the same all around , I wouldnt worry about it. Good job.

Oh , I do have a question. Wouldnt heat escape via the fan when its off?

Air escaping through the fan vent was a thought. I have not noticed any problems so far. We have had a little snow this year, and the weather has been very mild. Portland has hit mid 50s on quite a few occasions. With lows in the mid to upper 30s.

I thought about thin flexible plastic strips in front of the vent. To copy a commercial walk in freezer type door. I just don't know if that would be too much for the heater to push. Or, if it would set the heaters sensor off.

Definitely a work in progress. Any thoughts or ideas, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Back