Brew two 5 gallon recipes in one 10 gal. fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_CdY

Full time woodturner, part time brewer...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Grainfather connect brew pot that will handle 5 gallon batches. I am moving up a bit in my beer making and wondering if I purchased a 10 gallon fermenter could I brew 2 batches, back to back, adding one to the fermenter then add the second batch 4 hours later then pitch the yeast and continue normally. I realize that I would need to keep the first batch warm and oxygen free until the last batch was added.

Would that work? Of course someone is going to say get a 10 gallon brew kettle but I'm just not ready for that, at least not now.

Yes, that's just fine. Done at the pro level as standard practice. You could (and should) pitch your yeast with the first batch. Split the oxygen between the two. I would go heavier on oxygen on the first batch and lighter on the second one, but an even split should be alright.

Pitch your yeast into the first batch as soon as it is cool, consider that as a starter for the larger batch. Your yeast will be propagating during that 4 hours or so while you do the second batch and be ready to ferment the larger amount soon.

Back