Brew Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Jumped in the car yesterday and did a little brewery tour up north.

First Stop was Right Brian Brewery in Traverse City, MI. Then off to Shorts Brewery (their pub) in Bellaire MI. Had a great time.

When I left Right Brain I noticed a massive amount of equipment sitting outside to the right of the building. Looks like they will have to rent some warehouse space for it. This is just a fraction of what was sitting there.

rbb.jpg

Inside Shorts:

shorts.jpg

Hey Paul, do any Western/Northern Mich breweries have nice, shady parking lots or dog-friendly patios? We're going to MI to visit family (all on Lake Huron) and want to do a day trip to breweries that aren't along our route, but we can't leave our dogs with my grandfather. They're just too active for him to deal with all day. Anyway, it seems a shame to come all the way up from Virginia and not try some beer we can't get at home...

Don't know how many are dog friendly. Founders in Grand Rapids has an outdoor patio. Old boys in Spring Lake is based on a dog theme and has a outdoor deck overlooking the the lake.

Miss Michigan so much, cheers to all the great beer that comes from there, for I am missing it out here in California.

Sounds like fun! I toured the Krombacher brewery in Krombach Germany about ten years ago. Was an awesome experience and all the free beer at the end didn't hurt matters any either!

Bob calls Short's "the Happiest Place on Earth" (stolen from Walt Disney World) and LOVES that brewpub.

I'm a huge fan of Right Brain as well. If you leave Right Brain, and go up the Mission Peninsula, Jolly Pumpkin has a beautiful brewpub/restaurant/distillery that we just loved.

Bob calls Short's "the Happiest Place on Earth" (stolen from Walt Disney World) and LOVES that brewpub.

I'm a huge fan of Right Brain as well. If you leave Right Brain, and go up the Mission Peninsula, Jolly Pumpkin has a beautiful brewpub/restaurant/distillery that we just loved.

Both Right Brian and Shorts is awesome. Both pubs have a much larger selection than even Founders in Grand Rapids. Shorts is probably my favorite Brewery to date and being in the a north west lower Michigan little town near a bunch of crystal blue lakes makes it all the better.

I have a nice little brew pub a few miles from me that modeled themselves after Right Brian and has very good beer as well.

Miss Michigan so much, cheers to all the great beer that comes from there, for I am missing it out here in California.

If you live in CA and are missing good beer, you're not doing it right! CA has loads of good beer, last number I saw was around 250 breweries in the state:rockin:

I know CA has great beer! But there are just somethings that I still miss that don't get out of their zip code. There is plenty of great beer within twenty miles of me, plus all the great places north and south of me. Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, Lost Coast, North Coast, Anderson Valley, Mendocino Brewing, on on on.

I did my own little impromptu brew tour this weekend. Went to Green Flash's new location, happened upon their official Grand Opening, then visited Mission Brewery, wrapping up the evening with The Beer Co, a brewpub in downtown SD.

Shorts Hangin frank is awasome, My wife and I just visited Right Brain this past weekend and tried a few pints of their brew. they were very good this is a great place to stop on your way to shorts. Not very impressed with Jolly Pumpkins sour beers, I guess you need a palate for those, but nice drive and scenery on the way there.

Shorts Hangin frank is awasome, My wife and I just visited Right Brain this past weekend and tried a few pints of their brew. they were very good this is a great place to stop on your way to shorts. Not very impressed with Jolly Pumpkins sour beers, I guess you need a palate for those, but nice drive and scenery on the way there.

Hanging Frank is a good one. I really like Huma Lupa Licious, Good Humans, and Liberator to name a few. Wait I think I like all of their beers.

The first time I had Jolly Pumpkin Artisan ales were in a store bought bottle and I really enjoyed them. That was several years back. I believe one was a red. The last time I had one was at a beer festival and it was almost to sour to drink. Maybe I am just too much of a IPA guy now. Or maybe it was a different recipe. I do feel it takes a certain pallet to enjoy though.

Back