Brew time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustard

Reaction score
How long does it take you on brew day for your AG batch. From taking everything out to sanitize till your putting it all away?

I always give it six hours but I only brew on days were I don't have to worry about time. So not as often as I would like but I don't like stressing about time.....

I'm usually cleaning mash tun and everything I can while the wort is coming to a boil.

If I have to weigh out my grains and hops, it is about 5 - 6 hours. The least is 4.5 hours give or take. I plan for most of the day and do not always do things as fast as I could.....

This is with a three vessel gravity sculpture...

Grains and hops prepared the day before.

5 hours from starting to get everything out to cleaned up, yeast pitched, and fermenter in the swamp cooler with blow-off attached. This includes a 30 minute hop stand at 175 F.

I'm 7 hours and I almost ALWAYS do a 90 min boil, and 60 min mash. I brew at 6am and am all done, and enjoying beer #2 by 1pm. For what it's worth, I don't try to do anything fast, just easy through it and relax. Usually by 1 the wife and kids are home from church so we can get yard work cranked out, or go on an adventure. I usually brew on Sunday. My church = brewday

Just finished my 2nd AG batch. And it took probably 10 hours. Mind you I was trying to entertain a 2 year old during it. Looking for tips on speeding everything up. I also set up my new mill so should be able to get it down to 8. I did 90 min mash and 90 min boil. Need to find quicker way to chill wort. Doing a water bath in the tub with 3 blocks of ice

4 hours max. I get equipment ready night before. I weigh the grains out and have them ready to grind. Yeast starter is made 1 or 2 days prior. A immersion wort chiller will shave tons of time off your day. Cleaning as I go is a must. If you have a way to heat your boil kettle while sparging it will reduce your time till boil. That's my way of cutting down brewday. Having your inventory laid out the night before has reduced the amounts of of sh{}!! moments I have had.

My first time getting new equipment, BK, chiller, propane burner and out of the kitchen into the garage, it took me 7 hrs. After 4 batches, I'm down to 5 hours, although I take lots of time lautering, vorlaufing and sparging. You get more efficient with experience, and with cleaning as you go. Plan on all day at first.
Have fun!

How long does it take you on brew day for your AG batch. From taking everything out to sanitize till your putting it all away?

Well, sanitizing equipment is definitely not my first step....

(About 5 hours if there are no hitches).

I set up everything the night before. If I'm moving with a purpose, that takes about 20 minutes. If I'm dawdling, listening to music, having a beer and chatting with the neighbors (which is 99% of the time) setup takes an hour.

Brewday in the summer when I can use the hose and clean as I go, start to finish is 3.5 hours, plus maybe an hour to put stuff away.
EDIT: that's with a single infusion batch sparge and a plate chiller. Those two things speed the process up a ton.

for me... about 4ish hours
night before : Measure water, grind grain, (hops i get together during mash) hook up hoses and prime the pump.
next day : flip pump switch and flip element switch...

3.5 hrs brewing, 2 hrs cleaning up. I have a plate chiller and run it through 4 cycles before it's clean.

3.5-4 hours if I collect my water and measure out my grains the night before. I usually set up my cooler, burner, kettle as well.

Brewing Friday after work and will use my heat stick with my A419 temp controller set to heat mode so my strike water will be ready when I get home from work and I can be mashed in by 5, done by 8 I bet.

4 hours but I get all my water/salts measured out the night before and clean as I brew. I put the strike water on a timer so I can just wake up, walk out to my shop, and dough in.

Cheers.

4-5 hours, if I weigh out my grain and hops the day before, and have all my equipment ready to go. All-grain, cooler mash tun, plate chiller.

My problem is that my equipment is in my basement, but I brew in my garage on a propane Bayou Burner. Hauling everything up and down the stairs costs me quite a bit of time.

I've learned a lot of tricks to speed things up. The very first thing I do on brew day is dump 2 gallons of hot tap water into my mash tun and close the lid, to preheat it. Then I measure out my strike water and get it on the burner. While it's heating, I mill the grain and start bringing up the rest of the equipment. When the strike water is to temp, I dump the hot water out of the mash tun, add the strike water, and stir. When I hit my temp, I cover the grain bed with a sheet of aluminum foil and close up the tun. I then immediately measure out my sparge water and get it heating up. It usually comes to temperature (180° F) a little before I'm ready for it, but I just turn off the burner. That much water won't lose *that* much heat in the 20 minutes it takes me to recirculate and collect my first runnings. And it beats looking at the clock, knowing I've been mashing for 75 minutes, and I'm *still* waiting for my sparge water to reach temperature.

Other timesavers, as others mentioned, include cleaning as you go. However, the only thing I can "clean as I go" is my mash tun. I clean it during the boil. There's really nothing else to clean until the wort has been chilled and transferred into the fermenter.

I rehydrate my yeast during the boil, set up my chiller and pump with about 20 minutes to go in the boil, get the fermenter ready, etc. I try to multitask. It means less down time during a brew day, but it can shorten it up quite a bit.

Back