Brew Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
So I brewed an American Hefe yesterday and hit a record brew time for me. I actually finished from grain to carboy in under four hours. Not only that but I achieved an efficiency of 75% which is much higher than usual for me. I usually hit around 70%. I will say that my efficiency change probably had everything to do with my new grain mill.

As for my time efficiency, I think I have just streamlined my process, and my new and improved chiller has definitely decreased my time to pitching.

So what are most peoples time for a brew start to finish. Clean up time is not included.

I've been doing 90 min. mashes and 90 min. boils, so in fermenter and equipment cleaned up I'm at 5.5 - 6 hours.

Eastside

4.5-5 hours for a 10 gallon batch with a 60 minute mash. My biggest time savers are:

1. Get a second burner to start heating the wort during the first runnings.
2. Clean up the mash tun while bringing the wort to boil.
3. Using a CFC racks and cools in the same motion.

I brewed a bitter last night and it took me just over 4 hours. That is starting with heating my mash tun and ending when I pitched the yeast. It does not include cleaning my mash tun or brew pot.

A single 5G batch including clean-up takes around 4 1/2 hours.

Two 5G batches take around 7 hours as I need to heat water for my sparge/strike in my boil kettle. :(

I just doughed in for a Robust porter at 1:55pm est. We shall see how this goes. Milled my grain while the water heated. Hit my temp right on, I will see if I can hit similar time and efficiency today.

Final time to fermenter was 4 hours 3 minutes, with clean up. I finally broke 80% today as well with 80.5% eff. Totally stoked about that. It seems that buying the mill and bulk grain is paying off for sure. Did a robust porter, with OG of 1.075 for about 22 bucks. This is also the first beer I am doing with harvested Pacman yeast. I have done this recipe a number of times, and even entered it with good scores. I am curious what the Pacman yeast will produce.

Altogether a good weekend with two batches under my belt, I am getting into a groove with time and efficiency which makes me happy. I know it's only two batches that I have hit the four hour mark, but it seems like I am at the sweet spot with my process.

I would really love to automate at this point and see what else I can do for streamlining.

Back